Florida Testing

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by corney, Jan 21, 2009.

1. corney

corney Companion

Jan 21, 2009

For the Florida teachers here.. What are your thoughts about all the testing the schools do in Florida.. as a parent it seems like way too much for both children and teachers.. What ever happened to just teaching and testing at the end of the year to see what they have learned.. I remember testing on Fridays to get your grade on what was learned during the week.. but all this state testing every quarter is over the top.. How do we get it re-evaluated?? Is it even possible??

3. lolabear1

lolabear1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2009

Welcome to No Child Left Behind.

4. corney

corney Companion

Jan 22, 2009

well my child is being left behind because no one is helping her.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 22, 2009

For all the good intentions of NCLB, the local implementations of the act leave a LOT to be desired. I tend to call it "No Child Gets Ahead". There's a place for standardized testing, but this is not it. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to lose so much class time for testing when I could be teaching.

Just hang on until after the FCAT. We have a little more than a month left. After that is my favorite time to teach. I get to teach what I want and how I want to teach it. I think it's the time of the year when the most real learning takes place.

6. corney

corney Companion

Jan 22, 2009

Well my child is not getting ahead in so many ways. I'm coming to realize she will most likely have to repeat 2nd grade. Because the county determined her learning disabled she is eligable for the McKay scholarship, I'm going to look in to a private school for her to repeat 2nd grade in and beyond if necessary. In the mean time I'm going to request they treat her as if she is severly learning disabled and stop time testing her reading and assign an aid to work with her on subject tests. She is not able to read to herself because she is not sure of the words she is reading.. If she is allowed to read out loud with minimal assistance she does well. I know she will eventually have to break free from this, but for now she needs to become more confident so she can progress to that point.. My impression of being in the ESE program is for her to get the extra attention she needs.. I don't see that happening at this point and we are not into the 3rd marking period..

I'm with you on the teaching what should be taught.. the schools have gotten so far from the basics it's sickening..

Please excuse my ranting.. I'm just so dissappointed with the level of education my daughter is getting.. :( :( :(