FL New Hire - Need DOE Eligibility Letter

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lynn0612, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Lynn0612

Lynn0612 Rookie

Jul 5, 2018

Florida: New teacher and passed subject area in May. Interviewed with principal and accepted 8th grade position. I've been finger-printed, drug tested and completed new hire paperwork. I was told when Eligibility Letter is received, I sign contract and good to go!
    Two months later....I'm still waiting on DOE to send my eligibility letter! My passed exam, subject area and approved application-transcripts are ALL approved and posted by DOE on their website. Each month I call DOE...the same line "8 more weeks." I explained I have waited more than 8 weeks and I have a job offer and need that letter for hire. DOE's response, "We are really busy. You can wait your turn." At this point - 8 weeks will be September and I will lose job offer because school starts in 8/3 for staff.
    My county HR rep is new and said she emailed DOE with no response.
    Any advice? Options? Grateful for any direction...

3. TeachinginFlorida

TeachinginFlorida New Member

Jul 8, 2018

That sounds confusing. Since it's posted online and part of your certificate, it should be okay. Did you pay for your teacher certification? Did you try calling the principal at the school and explaining the situation?

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2018

OP, before having a meltdown, I would like to suggest that you document your calls and interaction with the DOE. Your situation is far from unique. No matter what state you are in, the certification of newly graduated teachers takes up most of the summer. Trust me when I say that they are aware of the problem and working as fast as they can. Let HR have the dates you called, time, and the name of the person who you spoke to, and refuse to panic or accept blame for this typical event.

Going forward, call once a week, be very polite when speaking to the DOE representative, express your gratitude for their help and patience, and try to honestly believe that they are trying to get your required paper work done ASAP. The districts know this is a normal problem that is outside of your control. The district can apply pressure closer to the start of the school year. The DOE is going to give you the 8 week answer even though that doesn't really reflect the fact that the paperwork is in proscess. In the meantime, ask your district what steps can they take to assure that you don't miss any of new teacher orientation.

Best of luck.

bella84 likes this.
  5. Lynn0612

Lynn0612 Rookie

Jul 9, 2018

Thank for your response!
    Yes I’ve paid for everything myself. Principal said to contact HR - but she is new and I don’t think understands the state system very well. Other counties contact DOE directly - and I don’t think she has a contact there. Other new rescuers in FL have waited since February to get thw
    I emailed the principal this evening letting him know I’ve exhausted all I can do to get letter. We’ll see what happens!
    Thanks for your responses make.
    I have been calling DOE weekly since May - it’s now July - hence why the “8 weeks” has not been accurate. I have called DOE weekly and documented time, rep’s name and content of call. When I mention previous or first call to DOE - I’m told “that rep does not work here” and “no one by that name has ever worked here.” I’ve als explained I have a job offer since June and need the letter for hire. It is beginning to look like the runaround after 3 months!

Of course - I’m always polite, I’ve enail principal with updates and HR called last week and needs letter for hire. School starts in 3 weeks!

Just thought maybe another FL teacher might have some insights or experiences with DOE and I was asking for help bc I’ve exhausted every option I can think of.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2018

Perhaps you would better off making email contact with someone in the DOE, creating a more consistent paper trail with email address to use as an identifier.

7. Lynn0612

Lynn0612 Rookie

Jul 9, 2018

Excellent and I can prove contact with a day-time stamp. Thank you!!!

8. mamaotter

mamaotter Rookie

Jul 9, 2018

I live in Alabama, and our certification is said to take 2-3 months. Mine took just over a month. My university has a form letter they will fill out for schools in the event that the cert hasn't come through in time which informs the school that the application has been sent to the state and is in progress. This is accepted in lieu of the actual cert until it comes in. Is anything like that an option for you?

9. Lynn0612

Lynn0612 Rookie

Jul 9, 2018

Thank you! I have asked the HR if I can submit my passed exam results, be hired as a sub l-temp until letter arrives, etc. The problem is if a certified app applies - they have to hire instead of sub or temp.
    Guess FL is slow and our DOE is infamous for being slow and uncompassionate. I’ve experienced numerous mistakes and errors from DOE...and I joke that in spite of DOE - I will teach this Fall!

10. mamaotter

mamaotter Rookie

Jul 9, 2018

I think they are all slow. Consider how many new grads there are, from all over the state, each one wanting their cert NOW. There can only be so many people working on them. We were told by our university reps not to call and ask about our application because every phone call or email they respond to is time taken away from working on someone's application. It won't make them work any faster, and if they are the vindictive sort, it may make them remember your name and put it on the bottom of the pile when they see it. The only thing you can do is be patient. They have your information, and they will get it done.