First year teaching

Discussion in 'Special Interests' started by bigv, Feb 10, 2018.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Feb 11, 2018

I am also 20-something (for at least 11 more months!) We work what, 183 days of the year or so? Around 50%. This leaves PLENTY of space for balance and vacation without having to get into gray/murky areas on your first year on the job. This is especially true if the reason for doing so is simply to pay less for the ticket.

a2z, Caesar753, rpan and 2 others like this.
  2. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2018

As one of the older teachers, my advice was given based on my experience and my knowledge of how such requests are considered in my district. It also was based on my opinion (and that of my two 20-something children) that when you have a job, you need to honour the commitments and requirements. Finding balance is essential, but that doesn't mean trying to find ways around rules or guidelines to do so.

a2z, Caesar753, rpan and 2 others like this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2018

You remind me of someone else that I know. When given the correct answer, which doesn't justify what you want to do, you just keep asking the same question over and over with tiny modifications to see if somebody, anybody, will support your plan.

Here's the answer - every school I have ever worked in has a policy that prohibits teachers from taking time off immediately before or after the breaks, such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, and yes, the Spring break. Even the teacher's union can't help you if you break these rules. Look bad for a first year teacher? I'll go you one better than that - it looks bad for any teacher! As a first year teacher it sends the message that you don't follow rules, don't value the school's administrative policy, and you don't care one bit that all the other teachers arranged their "breaks" to honor the rules but you feel that what you want supersedes rules based on reasons you obviously haven't considered.

Take your trip. Plan to return to great displeasure with your admin, and many of the teachers who will resent your flagrant violation of the rules. Worry for the rest of the year that should admin need any reason whatsoever to delete you from the roster of teachers for the following year, you have given them that reason all wrapped up with a big shiny bow on it. This is the kind of thing that could even impact what kind of LOR you get after termination, since this kind of rule breaking shows you are not committed to your job, nor are you a team player - you think you are better than all of the teachers who followed the rules.

rpan, futuremathsprof and Zelda~* like this.
  4. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Feb 11, 2018

I've worked in a couple of districts, and in both districts there were hard and fast rules about extending breaks. In one district you could do it but it needed to be approved and it cost you double (two persona/sick days instead of one) and in the other you just flat out couldn't do it without a documented emergency of some kind - and there were clear guidelines about what qualified as an emergency. Even in the district where it was allowed, it was heavily frowned upon and other teachers and TA's absolutely noticed, talked about it, and thought poorly of it. I know you don't like it but trust what experienced teachers are telling you and either pony up the extra money to come home on time or wait and go over the summer. Or do what you will but understand that yes, it will most likely be looked at poorly.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Habitué

Feb 11, 2018

I can — I have about $4,200 in disposable income each month. I just don’t want to go to parts of Asia besides South Korea and Japan.

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Feb 11, 2018

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we get that you're a rich sonofab. There's enough threads about your wealth, no?

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2018

Absolutely. I just meant that my generation is more likely than not to do stuff like the OP is talking about. But again, I say, if s/he knows the possible consequences, it's his/ her life.
    I have a friend in Spain who I've been trying to coordinate a visit and it for some reason our schedules didn't match up and I had to meet during the school year, given advance notice I'd float the idea around too. But I'm also not one to take sick or personal days during the school year. My second year I took a week off only because I had resigned and would have lost them anyway so...
    It's probably NOT the best idea being the first year teacher coming in with these ''needs'' but that's life. During my first year my friend /colleague (also a first year) had to take off a bunch of time for a wedding back home. It was planned way in advance and it's what he had to do. He actually went OVER his allotted days and ended up not getting paid for the days over that he missed. That was his consequence.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 11, 2018

I involuntarily laughed out loud from this post. Thanks. xD

MissCeliaB likes this.
  9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 11, 2018

My advice, honestly, do it.

You can spend all your time worrying about whether something "looks bad" or not. It's up to you to decide whether the risk of not being asked back the next year (1st year teachers are usually probationary) is worth it, but if it were me, now knowing what I know, I would do it.

I accrued over two months of PTO that I never used when I was teaching and it's gone now. We aren't compensated for time not used either. I guess I didn't mind much, because I would have rather spent that time in my classroom with my kids anyway, but I do wish I took more mental health days than I did, instead of coming in sick to my classroom because I was stressed about what would happen if I didn't.

Here's the thing: admin aren't supposed to ask you in most cases what you are spending your PTO on anyway. You could technically use it for whatever. Just don't tell other teachers because they're liable to gossip.

I was lucky that I worked in a school where admin was super cool (I loved my admin and I perpetually miss them) and teachers could outright openly say "I'm going to be *imagine double air quotes here* "sick" on this day, while I take my kids to Disneyland." But we worked in a great environment where we all knew that even if we used our days for things like this every now and then, every teacher always put in 110% into our job and doing great things for our kids.

So it's up to you. If you're worried about how it will look to admin and afraid that it may affect your chances at being rehired, don't do it. But it's definitely an option available to you. It's no one else's business what you do with your PTO (depending on your contract).

I would just make sure that you have a great lesson plan available for your sub so your kids don't lose any learning on those days.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Leaborb192 likes this.
  10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2018

The consequences are often contract dictated monitored by non-millennialS #justsayin #consequences #readyourcontract

a2z and Zelda~* like this.
  11. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Feb 11, 2018

As a millenial, I hate when people generalize that our generation is lazy. I feel like this sort of reasoning only justifies their generalization.

OP, I wouldn't recommend it. Every district I'm familiar with has these as blackout days for this exact reason. A pricier ticket to return on time seems like the safer route.

12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2018

1. I don't know if you're referring to something I said explicitly or drawing inferences, but I never said that our generation is lazy. Show me where I did?
    2. I merely said that our generation really wants a work /life balance and that I (and most 20 - somethings) would more likely understand the OP's position. That doesn't mean agree or support.
    3. I said that the OP will make the decision and will deal with the consequences which can include a myriad of things. The OP had plenty of responses indicating NOT to do it, but I argued the other side. Is it a really good idea to be thinking about taking a vacation when you're supposed to be working? No. Especially if you're new on the job and trying to establish yourself. Do people do it? Yes. In ALL industries in fact. And they deal with the consequences. Like I said, if the OP gets approval and plans well so that the learning can continue, it's not a huge deal. It would be a bigger problem if the OP just decided to not show up or not leave plans behind. That would be really bad.

13. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Habitué

Feb 11, 2018

Where I currently work we get three personal days. And they are really picky about when we can use them. The day before a break or right after a break is outright forbidden. They will not approve it. Also, they do ask what you're going to use it for before they'll approve it. We've been told it better be important and something we cannot do outside of our working contract time. Someone just hired on with us would have no idea until opening day when this is all laid out on the line in detail by admin.

14. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Feb 11, 2018

Sorry, not what I meant. When I was referring to people I didn't mean you. I was referring to the stereotyping of millennials as lazy or coddled. I just think it reflects poorly on 20 somethings if we unnecessarily miss work days because it only plays into how other people view us. Because that's the problem with stereotypes, if just one person does it, we all do it.

At my school if a parent found out we took two days off for a vacation they would be calling administration. I was speaking to a coworker last week who had a parent trying to get her removed because she has missed 7 days this year (between her kids having the flu and her mother in the hospital). If parents can get mad about that, they definitely won't understand time off for leisure. And depending on the parent, it could then play into the negative stereotypes of teachers.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2018

I'm one of those "older teacher" then. I'm 47 with 25 years of teaching.

I know how my district restricts use of time off. I know the requirements of my career. I have 185 days in my contract which leaves a darned lot of time for vacations. I have a work/life balance that's quite nice. It's not like I'm giving up my life if I don't take an extra day or two off of a scheduled vacation. I'm not at all against taking days off when I need them, like when I'm too ill to work/contagious or when I've needed to take off for parent illnesses. I have even taken a few (maybe 5 ) personal days during my career. Last year I took one personal day to Christmas shop with my BFF, also a teacher. I think I had two or three sick days. This year I have missed maybe a dozen days and may miss more because my mom has terminal cancer.

I don't consider working my required contract being chained to my desk. Chained to my desk is going in on weekends or working during a scheduled break or working in the summer or even going in extra early or staying extra late.

We have spring break the first week of April. Five days off. We have lost that break due to excessive snow days and flu days. I supposed all of the millennials will be gone anyway because, darn it, life is too short and rules were made to be broken. :rolleyes:

Leaborb192 and MissyB like this.
  16. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 12, 2018

Yuck.

I guess that underscores that it really does depend on your school and your contract.

For example you might be given 10 personal days to use as you wish (i.e. as sick days, mental health days, slight vacation extension, etc.) and they may stipulate in the contract that admin are not to ask you what you are doing with them. In my experience, I've never been asked to have anyone "approve" my absences. I could just not show up one day. As long as I had a lesson plan prepared and everything it was no big deal, (though if you know beforehand it's always a good idea to let your admin know if you're going to be out).

In other cases, you are given specific "sick days" and specific "personal days", and they may have particular uses.

As others have said, read your contract.

17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 12, 2018

Yikes. The reality is, you probably will be missing many of your students. It's not a millennial thing, but rather families schedule vacations and such during these breaks and count on them to happen.

This is nearly exactly what happened when I took off a few days to go to a trip to Germany with my family (well my husband's family, but they are really my only family now). I didn't feel guilty one bit, because family comes first. If I was able to reschedule it I would have but everyone who was going on the trip would have had to reschedule too. [Full disclosure, I actually stressed out a lot about this, and wanted to not go, but I was strong-armed into it by the family and I was super glad I did it, even though I left earlier than they did, and did the whole trip in 3 days as opposed to 7. Flew back in around midnight and had work the morning after with a TON of jet lag!]

Life is short. And you're more likely going to regret not seeing more of the world and spending time with your loved ones than you will regret not going into work one or two days. But to each their own. :)

futuremathsprof likes this.
  18. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Feb 12, 2018

Like my mom always told me growing up...there is no harm in asking!

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Feb 12, 2018

Actually, we don't typically have much difference in attendance on those days. Our area is used to missing a lot of days, and we all know that spring break is not guaranteed. Most people will not make plans that can't be cancelled.

20. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 12, 2018

Ah. Gotcha. Every place really is different!