First year teaching

Discussion in 'Special Interests' started by bigv, Feb 10, 2018.

1. bigv

bigv Rookie

Feb 10, 2018

Hello. I want to ask because I will be a teacher next year. Let's say for spring break I want to fly to Asia from California. If I was to stay an extra two days I would pay less for a ticket. I read I can have five personal use days along with five sick days. In my first year of teaching this doesn't look bad if I want to use two days for after the break does it? Let's assume for argument's sake that I will be teaching in Modesto City Schools.

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Feb 10, 2018

Speaking generally, it’s not a good look to come back late after a break, especially a first year teacher and for the reason being you are trying to save money on a ticket. You have to be professional and be perceived as professional by your peers. Any day you are absent puts pressure on your colleagues and the school to cover your classes. If it’s a genuine reason that’s fine but when the rest of the school has to come back on a certain day and you’ve taken an extra 2 days, that would annoy people. I mean, who wouldn’t want those extra 2 days but it’s the professionalism we have that brings us back on time. Don’t do it. I suspect that the fact you are asking on this forum means you have a gut feeling that it’s not the right thing to do.

ms.irene likes this.
  4. bigv

bigv Rookie

Feb 10, 2018

Well I read there are 10 sick days and five I can use for personal reasons. I mean let’s assume that including this I have only used 4 sick days. With this information tied is this still a bad look?? Isn’t it ok by some chance? Fyi if you want to know I’m talking about a spring break.

5. rpan

rpan Cohort

Feb 10, 2018

Nope. It’s not ok. It’s even worse to use sick days in this situation.

Personal leave is for situations that are unexpected that you absolutely can’t get out of or requires urgent attention. E.g. a pipe burst in your bathroom and flooded your house and you need to sort it out. We aren’t a profession where we can just take leave and use everything we are entitled to because we already do get a longer break than other jobs. There aren’t many jobs that give you almost 3 months off every year so during school time, it’s only right and professional that we turn up when we are supposed to.

Imagine the conversation you are going to have with the P. Can I come back 2 days late after spring break because the tickets are cheaper. I know I’m entitled to personal days and I would like to use 2 of those days.

Book a ticket that takes you back on time.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 10, 2018

It's a moot point. You can't afford vacations to Asia on a teaching salary.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  7. bigv

bigv Rookie

Feb 10, 2018

Technically you can. Like SF to Cambodia is doable.

8. bigv

bigv Rookie

Feb 10, 2018

Well in that case I trust you know I'm not trying to be smart but what if you only used one day or even a half day, like coming back for the last two hours?

9. bigv

bigv Rookie

Feb 10, 2018

Better question. What about if you leave early and let's say spring break starts on a Friday. What if you have a sub come in that Friday but you still come back for the first day after spring break?

10. rpan

rpan Cohort

Feb 10, 2018

Nope. Go to Asia during summer break. Come back on time. Be professional.

ms.irene likes this.
  11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Feb 10, 2018

We have three personal days and ten sick days per year.

We have to get personal days approved by the building principal at least 2-3 days before the requested day. There are blackout days. We cannot use a personal day the first or last 5 days of the school year or immediately before or after a scheduled time off.

When we use a sick day, we have to sign for it. They can request doctor notes. Don't use a sick day if you are not sick.

There is also the option for taking time off without pay.

However, if you want to have a professional career, behave like a professional. This means going to work when you are supposed to be at work.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2018

If we are absent immediately before or after a break, we need to provide documentation--doctor's note, proof of transportation delays, etc. Don't try to figure out how to get around things, travel within the time you have.

Caesar753 likes this.
  13. bigv

bigv Rookie

Feb 10, 2018

Look with this said let’s say I tell the principal months ahead within the first week of school. How likely will this help my chances of approval? Also how bad of a look is this really?

14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2018

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate and argue the other side. If you KNOW with 100% certainty that you WILL be taking this trip, I say sort it out now before you even step foot into the classroom. But any communication I suggest you get in WRITING! I'm going to defend the points already made in that you should vacation on your time, but that said, we know that teachers leave before and/or come back later. I subbed for a teacher who wanted to extend her spring break and it was chaos... her plans were piss poorly put together and she ended up getting frustrated with ME when I didn't get everything done. If you do plan on doing this, make sure that you have given plenty of notice and have ample plans readily available for your subs. It might make you look unprofessional-- they might think -- "Why are you doing this during your first year?'' and could potentially leave a bad stink about your name. But it's YOUR career and you're going to make choices. Just be ready to deal with any consequences including the potential denial of your request.

My second year I banked a bunch of personal days and just took a week off toward the end of the year. I wasn't coming back anyway and after spring break we had no vacations until the end of the school year so I was like "I'm using them before I lose them.'' But I had all my plans and materials available.

I'm a fellow 20 - something so I get it.
    :)

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Feb 10, 2018

I have no idea how likely your chances are. Our building principal has to approve the day, but then it has to go to the superintendent for final approval. I have known people who have had their days approved and some who have not had them approved, and these were on regular days, not blackout days.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2018

What ever way you spin it, it looks bad for a first year teacher. What is the rush to go over break instead of summer?

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Feb 10, 2018

Now I'm curious. What do you, as a 20-something, "get", exactly?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 10, 2018

My principal would not be happy. We only get two "personal" days, and they are considered "urgent personal reason" days. I took one for my house closing. She is very understanding if we are sick or have emergencies. I missed 2 days to travel for a funeral, and she was very supportive. But if she notices you are missing a lot, she will talk to you about it. I I would not do it!

19. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 10, 2018

In my district, personal days are not allowed immediately before or after a break. At best, you could take the days as unpaid leave and be docked your daily salary for the days missed.

Caesar753 likes this.
  20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2018

Some districts have policies about tacking on personal days to breaks. And those who don't have policies don't necessarily look highly upon such practices

Caesar753 and Zelda~* like this.
  21. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2018

That 20 -somethings, also called "millennials'', want a work /life balance and that we don't want to be chained to our desks. I noticed that a lot of the advice given, presumably by older teachers (though I could be wrong), is basically work and vacation on your own time. As a 20 - something, I'm arguing the other side which is life is too short and it's YOUR choice, but be ready to deal with any consequences. If bigv has it all planned out and is insistent that s/he take this trip, GO FOR IT! If you let your boss know well in advance and can have everything covered, what's the problem? The principal may say ''no'' or he could say ''yes,'' but that will leave the individual with no days left should s/he actually need them. Those are consequences.

Elena3 likes this.