First year teacher

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Skye, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Skye

Skye New Member

Jun 14, 2018

Hello! I recently graduated as a non-traditional student with my degree in early childhood inclusive edu. I am happy to say that I had a great interview just yesterday and five hours later I am a member of the RV Wolverine staff!!! I am beyond excited, but my mind is also racing with what all I need to do to prepare for my first year as a pre-k teacher.

What advice do you have for a first year teacher? What do I absolutely have to have thought out before school starts? How do you stay organized? Thank you!

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 15, 2018

Congrats! I think it will depend on what resources your school provides, if there’s a curriculum available that you have to use, and the population of students you will serve. Before school starts, I like to get my “Welcome to my classroom” letter for parents ready with info about myself and the classroom, and I do a separate letter about behavior expectations and I outline my classroom management plan for families.

In my opinion, having a solid grasp on what your classroom management plan will be and how you will teach procedures is the most important thing you can do before school starts. Things might change a little once you meet your kiddos, but I’m general you need to know how you are going to teach them to participate during group time, what to do if they need help, how to use the bathroom & wash hands appropriately, meal time procedures, how to solve conflicts with peers, and what you’ll do when there’s a challenging behavior.

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Jun 15, 2018

Usually first year teachers are the ones who have to bring in the chicken parm for Chicken Parm Friday. Feel free to PM me for my recipe, and good luck!!

5. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jun 15, 2018

• Congratulations!!! :)
    • Procedures, procedures, procedures. You're going to be teaching the basics for the first few weeks. This is how we line up. This is where we put our things. This is how we play with this type of toy. This is where the toys go when we're finished. etc. etc.
    • Have visual spots in place for the kiddos to line up, at least for the line leader spot.
    • Work out how (with the permission and help of your director) you will communicate with parents. I like apps and paper newsletters. Last year I used Bloomz. I liked it, but, I may use Seesaw this year.
    • Clearly label all of your shelves.
    • Have some sort of system in place for what the kiddos will do when they arrive. Table toys, look at books, have them find their name and put it on an attendance chart---whatever works for you.
    As for organization, I have binders. I have a binder for staff for the State Department of Education, where all of our training certificates, etc. are. I have a binder for IEP goals and progress (I teach 50% special education, 50% typical peer model). I have a binder for lesson plans and how they align to our curriculum. I have a binder for the ELA (an Ohio & Maryland thing at the moment), one for Step Up to Quality, and one for parent info.

These binders are a life saver. When the State comes in, they look at those binders and everything they need is right there, organized and ready to go.

I also keep portfolios for the individual kids in binders. I should buy stock, really.