First year teacher with a couple of unique situations looking to get hired now

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kgquick118, Mar 9, 2018.

1. kgquick118

kgquick118 New Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Mar 9, 2018

So I’m looking for my first teaching job. Since 2014, I have been in medical school, but medical school did not work out, the difficulty of the standardized test in med school was ridiculous even for someone who has always done very well on standardized test. long story short I was dismissed from medical school. I can leave med school off my resume when I apply for teaching jobs but I’m betting employers will ask about the gap in employment. How should I bring up the med school thing if asked? Should I just be honest about it?

Second, I was born and raised in a low income rural area and I will teach around here, luckily there are a lot of jobs around here and since I can teach HS biology and chemistry, I shouldn’t have a problem getting offers. I might have trouble getting an apartment because of credit issues, would districts help potential teachers find housing? In rural areas housing is hard to come by, what do new teachers do in that instance?

And lastly, before I went to med school I was enrolled in the Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program, which is an alternate route to licensure. In this program I gained a 3 year nonrenewable license, and I had to complete and internship to get the 5 year renewable license. Because I was accepted to med school the same year, I never completed the internship and my 3 year license expired. So I’m currently not licensed, but what I can do is secure a teaching job, complete the internship, and then I will get the 5 year license. Will this situation be a problem for potential employers? I’m looking for jobs now, and it would be great if I could start working this month or next month, but how common is it for people to get hired and start working in the middle of the semester? If anyone could help me with these questions I would truly appreciate it.
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 8, 2008
    Mar 9, 2018

1. You can absolutely explain your time in medical school, as it wasn't a gap but an exploration. I took a full decade between college and finishing my teaching certification. It shows that you've had world experience.
    2. I have not heard of teachers being given housing assistance, but I'm in an urban area. Perhaps someone else may have more of a background in that area.
    3. Licensing is state by state. Check with your Department of Education for that kind of question.
    futuremathsprof and Caesar753 like this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007
    Mar 9, 2018

If the area is very rural, you might be able to negotiate some housing assistance. I know some teachers who have worked on reservations and several of them have received housing as part of their compensation packages.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 5, 2011
    Mar 9, 2018

I don't think the first thing is really an issue at all If you feel the need to explain, say something about how you were pursuing another field but decided that you are more passionate about teaching.

Do you have any money saved up, or a parent willing to co-sign? I had no credit when I got my first job/apartment. I had to pay first and last month's rent as well as a large security deposit, plus provide proof of employment. In that area, it was also common for people to rent rooms or sections of their houses out. You may need to look at roommate situations first.

The last part is the part I don't understand. You're trying to get a teaching job without a teaching license? I guess there is a small chance you could find a private or charter school where that may be possible, but then would the job be considered your "internship?" I have heard of "emergency certifications" for hard to fill positions, which may be possible in a rural area, but my understanding is that those are for people who are certified teachers who are already licensed in other subjects.

As far as getting hired mid-year, that's very rare. I'd think it would be even rarer in a rural area as presumably there aren't many schools/jobs to choose from. You may luck into a long term sub/maternity leave position. There are cases where teachers leave mid-year, but these are very few and far between, IME, and unlikely that this situation will happen to present itself in a small rural area.