First Year Teacher/Second Grade

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by NewTeach14, Jul 31, 2014.

1. NewTeach14

NewTeach14 New Member

Jul 31, 2014

:confused:

Hello! I am new to this site as well as teaching!! I just got the offer this week and I am so happy. I am also scared to death! I do not know where to begin. Can anyone please tell me where to start and your own experiences???

THANKS!!!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2014

Do you gave any grade level colleagues or a mentor? Reaching out to these people would be a great start.

Know your grade level standards...stop by school and pick up any teacher manuals, curriculum maps or pacing guides to help with your planning.

Make nice with the secretaries and custodians...they will be invaluable supports one you get them on your side.:D

Congrats on the job!

4. NewTeach14

NewTeach14 New Member

Jul 31, 2014

Thanks!! Everything is happening so fast and I haven't seen my room yet. I just didn't know what to worry about first (room décor or planning). I am so happy though!! thanks for the reply and I'll be sure to be extra nice to them:)))

5. NewTeach14

NewTeach14 New Member

Jul 31, 2014

I'm sure I will have a mentor since I am a 1st year and all! I hope LOL!!

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 31, 2014

If it's a choice between room décor and planning, focus on planning. Like Czacza said, find out about your learning outcomes and curriculum guides. How you organize your classroom and your décor will reflect your content and student learning.

You may want to read a book on classroom management as this will assist you as you organize a room that will work with the routines and procedures you want to establish.

Welcome to second grade!! While it's my 6th year teaching, it will be my first year teaching this grade and I am very excited.

7. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 1, 2014

Congratulations on your new job!! This will be my seventh year teaching 2nd grade and I love it so much!

I don't really know where to start with giving you advice, but any time you have specific questions I'd be more than happy to help or offer you resources!

As soon as possible, if you haven't already, I'd get with your grade level partner(s) and ask what curriculum is being used and where to get a copy of your state content standards/objectives, then plan accordingly.

My best advice is this:
    Don't be afraid to ask for help!! Many people won't offer because they don't want to push things on you or overwhelm you, but they will happily offer advice, help, or resources if you ask.

Also- don't underestimate the importance of classroom management and procedures!! You won't be able to teach content until the classroom is a safe, organized place to learn.

PM me any time you need help and I'll give you my email address. Best of luck this year! I know you will love 2nd grade :hugs: