First Year Teacher Advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, May 6, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2018

Sigh...I am panicking because I apparently don't have a teaching license! My state has us get both a license and an SEI endorsement and I completed all of the requirements. However, my program mistakenly said that I completed an 8-12 program instead of a 5-8 program so I received my SEI endorsement and not my middle school teaching license. I've been emailing and calling and I hope it will be resolved quickly. I think I sent about 6 emails!! This also happened to another teacher from my program.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  2. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 9, 2018

Oh no! Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2018

^
    No, it stands for Sheltered English Immersion and Massachusetts requires all teachers to have this endorsement. I already have a teaching job but I was hoping to send them my license information! I had no idea this would happen! I spoke to someone else in my program who said it was resolved in 2 weeks for her. Frustrating that my program didn't check on everyone else's once one person had the issue. My program is hoping to send the correct information to the state today but who knows how long the state will take to fix the issue...

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2018

Fingers crossed that it all gets resolved quickly!

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2018

So I talked to the licensure contact person from my program and she was very rude. :( She basically said that she will send an email to correct the issue but she is not sure how long it will take. I asked her if she could let me know when got the email sent out and she seemed upset that I asked that. This was at 11am and I still haven't received any contact from her.

Then, I called my state licensure office and they said that an email would not suffice! They said they needed her to do a correction request and send the correct license--which she said that she would not be able to do! I'm super confused and stressed. I called the licensure contact person from my program and told her this, but she just said I needed to give her time. I'm wondering if I should talk to my principal about this tomorrow.

7. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Aug 9, 2018

Get HR in your hiring district to call as well. DESE can move slow but any time I've had my district get involved it gets solved immediately. But I wouldn't worry about the timing. Even if it's not resolved by the first day of school it shouldn't effect your start.

Ms.Holyoke and mathteachertobe like this.
  8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2018

Thanks for this advice! I just called and the lady is not there today but she is there at 7:30 tomorrow. I am also meeting my principal tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should let him know as well. My college licensure contact person told me that she sent in the request that the 8-12 license be removed, but I'm not sure how long that will take!

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2018

Wow...I am so relieved! The request to remove the 8-12 endorsement and the request to add the 5-8 endorsement was processed in only 3 hours! Now I just have to wait for my official license but I do have all the requirements met. I think it should only take a few days but I will let my school's HR know tomorrow to see if they can help the process move more quickly!

My other option was to pay $25 for a high school license but I really did not want to pay more $$ and I do not want a high school license.

MrsC likes this.
  10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2018

What do people usually wear to new teacher orientation? I got the flier in the mail and it says casual dress so I am not sure what to wear! I don't want to wear jeans but I also don't want to wear dress pants. I was thinking khakis would be perfect but I don't have any.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 9, 2018

I will probably wear my usual “teacher clothes” to mine - dress pants & a blouse. My orientation is at our board office and I always dress up to go there. Never know when I’ll run into a superintendent. Do you have a casual skirt or dress?

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2018

You were all totally right about going in early! I saw my classroom today and there are so many materials I have to go through! I'm glad because I actually have a lot of manipulatives, etc. that I'll use. The custodian is so sweet! She is helping me clean out the room and finding me bulletin board borders and paper. It's strange that my school doesn't provide laptops for teachers -- just a desktop. I will probably bring my own personal laptop or work from it at home.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  13. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2018

I think you should have a AtoZ journal of your first year teaching in here. Custodians are VERY important people in a school much like the office staff and lunchroom people. For her to help you out from the get go is a great sign. Is Monday the first day? Most of our local schools go back the 13th.

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 11, 2018

In a situation like this, I opt for colored skinny jeans or other pants that are casual but not blue jeans.

15. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Aug 11, 2018

You can't go wrong with a nice sundress. Casual, but dressy at the same time.

16. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2018

This is what I did today and I fit right in. Most people were very casual.

17. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2018

Does anyone have tips for dealing with very large class sizes? I have 3 classes with 33, 32, and 30 kids and I'm freaking out a bit. This is way more than I thought I would have. My student teaching classes had 17 kids and 22 kids because so many of the middle school kids went to charter schools. I have no idea how to even manage behavior with classes so large. I don't even know how I should group kids! Should I do 8 tables with groups of 4 and one group of 5 OR 6-7 groups of 5? Ahhhh...

My other question is, what do you usually do during homeroom? Apparently the kids have homeroom from 7:30 - 8 everyday and the kids get breakfast in homeroom. Do teachers usually organize community building activities during this time or it is just for breakfast/regular announcements?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  18. Janlee70

Janlee70 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018

I would reach out to the other teachers in your school and ask what they do. Once you know, you could follow their lead or alter their routine to fit what you would like to do.

bella84 and MissScrimmage like this.
  19. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2018

I talked to a teacher and she said homeroom is just a time for them to have breakfast and hang out-- no activities necessary thankfully!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2018

How much decorating is usually expected in a middle school classroom? The previous teacher left a ton of posters and I put a few up in my room, including a poster I had. I also bought a colored bins/paper trays for the room. I was also going to print a few other content related things on cardstock. I covered the bulletin boards and have border but I don't know what to put on them. I am hoping to wait for student work and put it up but I'm not sure if I need titles for my boards! My room just looks so dull right now and I'm not sure what to do.

I'm also going to make a poster with our classroom rules and also a poster that details the schedule for the day. Eventually I'm going to add anchor charts for things like turn and talks, group norms, etc. but I figure I'll put them up when we get to them.