First Year Teacher Advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, May 6, 2018.

1. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

May 12, 2018

I think you should professionally approach the topic if it's important to you. She might simply be following her take of the district's requirements regarding student supervision from employees vs. student teachers.

2. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

May 12, 2018

My school usually has subs for when student teachers are teaching. I just find it weird that she encourages me not to come when she is absent. She has done this multiple times. I think I might just tell her that I feel confident to teach when she isn't there and just have the sub/aide take over.

She was always saying how the other student teacher has high expectations of the kids and how the kids love her. I maybe should have asked how I could better model high expectations but for now I think I need to get over it and just focus on myself. :)

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  3. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

May 13, 2018

As you already know you will never have full responsibility as long as your mentor is in the room. It's surprising and, also, troubling that a mentor-teacher charged with teaching young students would drop everything she knows about skill-concept attainment when it comes to teaching adults. Whether small or big, independent practice means independent practice. If a student is not ready to work independently an effective teacher diagnosis, prescribes and reteaches. In your case, from what you describe, your mentor fails to realize behavior problems come with the territory. And you might get a class worse than this one. What is she training you to do? Stay home? You can learn "about" discipline from reading or watching, but you learn how to "do" discipline by doing discipline.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

May 13, 2018

I might just ask her what she thinks I need to improve on before teaching when she isn't there.

The more I think about it, I am hoping it might just be that she hates being absent/missing school. She didn't want to give me full control of the classroom from the start and wanted to co-teach. Overall, my student teaching experience has been fine but I didn't have as many opportunities as my friends did.

5. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

May 13, 2018

Well, learning how to mentor and lead is just as much of a process as learning how to teach.

6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 13, 2018

I don't know about everybody else but my program was more about advocating and promoting social justice, with lesson planning sprinkled in. But they never really taught us the insides and outs of what we really need to do and know. There really should be a "Your first year teaching 101'' class. The first assignment should be to script out your first day and then spend time bouncing ideas off your classmates and professor and revising it.
    It's true you cannot know exactly what you'll teach, where or what resources (if any) you'll have. But you can start to think about sort of a generic template that you could just edit when you do get into your classroom.
    If you script out your day then you really have to think about what exactly you'll do in terms of classroom management and organization. Likewise, teachers should be required to either draw (or use a computer program) to design a mock classroom to get an idea of how it would look. I don't know if everyone had to do that, but I did, and it was probably one of the most useful assignments.
    A lot of other stuff is just time wasting crap.
    :toofunny:

Been There likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 13, 2018

For decorations:

For about $15-20 at a dollar store, you can create a bright and welcoming classroom. Get a large "Welcome" sign, a couple packs of poster letters to use on bulletin boards, a couple packs of bulletin board borders, some poster board to create a few signs such as classroom rules or procedures, and maybe a few preprinted posters if you can find ones that pertain to your subject. You can also get bright colored plastic tablecloths or wrapping paper to cover bulletin boards, but your school might have butcher paper you can use.

The one other thing you will probably want is baskets/storage, but you can get that later when you know what exactly you need.

You might also want to have a place to put up great student work as the year starts.

Congrats on the job offer!

Been There likes this.
  8. Guitart

Guitart Rookie

May 13, 2018

True. I have yet to meet a veteran teacher who thought that learning about Vgotsky and Piaget was helpful to being a good teacher. I doubt many remember details about them after 20 years in the profession.

stephenpe and Leaborb192 like this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 13, 2018

I liked learning about them as I cultivated my teaching philosophy and HAD to refer to them to support my practice when I completed edTPA. But I would much rather learn the "real world'' skills such as... how to use the copier to its fullest potential and how to be resourceful when you don't have any resources. I was educated in NY which promoted using technology and all of these wonderful things, which is nice, but I taught in rural Arizona and had very limited technology which consisted of a Lady Bug camera, a very OLD and outdated computer that STILL ran Windows XP, and a Star Board which was crap and I had them take it out. We had OUTDATED curriculum so it wasn't even aligned to the Common Core Standards and I hadn't really been educated on what to do in that situation. Luckily, I was given a lot of freedom as a result to explore, but it took me until the second half of the year to really know how to "adapt to my surroundings.'' Those are the types of things they should be teaching. Just because you go to college in one location where they actually spend $ on education doesn't mean that's where you'll teach. I've known many classmates who have left the state of NY to teach in places like NC and Florida and had the same issues.
    What do you do if you're ready to start the day and all of a sudden you have three new students show up at your door? SURPRISE! You have MORE students you don't have room for. Yes, this did happen to me!

THOSE are the things we need to be teaching our teacher - candidates. In addition to REAL classroom management and how to instruct Special Education and ESL students.
    :)

These are the kinds of things that drive teachers out of the profession when they realize they can't handle them and that it wasn't what they thought it would be.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 13, 2018

I’m concerned about teacher prep programs that are focused on social justice. I don’t know of anyone who is against social justice, but it shouldn’t be the focus of teacher prep.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 13, 2018

As a millennial teacher, I agree. The problem is due to the fact that many teachers and administrators still aren't adequately representing ALL students to the levels that they should be. The point is to get the future teachers more trained and adept at doing it. I still think about all the heterosexist and heteronormative behaviors I see at the elementary levels. When you constantly refer to students as "boys'' and "girls'' and separate based on gender or reinforce gender stereotypes, it alienates students who don't quite fit into those boxes. The funny thing -- as millennial teachers -- we GET it -- and it's not US who need the education. We talk extensively about these issues in my education classes.
    A lot of times SJ is a theme that does seem to be "jammed in'' when it's not needed and a little bit of brainwashing is happening, but I always try to keep a calm and level head.
    However, I'm taking a course exclusively on diversity & education, and here were some questions on a quiz I had to take:

[​IMG]

Questions like THESE make me really cringe and grow to dislike SJ education because of the "brainwashing'' and separation they cause. I just feel like this may feed the flames of bigotry and hatred on BOTH sides. I just don't want to train a new generation of teachers who shame the white kids simply because they are white and were the majority for so long.
    But we definitely have a lot of work to do in terms of social justice, inclusion and equity for ALL students!
    :)

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

May 13, 2018

I wouldn't buy much until you see what the school provides and what you really need.

I bought too much stuff because other people recommended them or I thought I'd use them. I have found that I got more useful things when I bought something once I saw I had a need.

waterfall and otterpop like this.
  13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 13, 2018

I agree. As a teacher, it's important we know about social justice and diversity issues. On a personal level, those things matter to me a lot. But I resist the idea that teachers should be seen as the ones who will fix our society and/or combat issues such as homelessness, racism, and poverty. Heck, teachers are even teaching things like morals and manners these days - tasks that used to belong to families, and community and church leaders. Again, not at all saying they're not important issues, but I do think that schools and communities need counselors and social workers whose jobs are specifically to handle these problems. A teacher should be learning primarily about classroom management and how to teach reading, math, and other subjects effectively.

(sorry... Off topic)

teacherintexas and Leaborb192 like this.
  14. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 13, 2018

Me neither. The only reason educators drop names like Vgotsky is to impress others who often don’t have a clue what they’re talking about. My former principal mentioned Vgotsky in my last evaluation in her failed attempt to sound intellectual.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  15. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 13, 2018

She did study education right? I'm assuming that she did know who Vygotsky was, no? In interviews I can name drop researchers that I know the admin probably doesn't know (unless they have an extensive literacy / research background) but they do look and sound impressed at the table.
    ;)

16. Menachem Moscovitz

Menachem Moscovitz New Member

May 17, 2018

You need to star with basic because without basic you never understand math. Always do practice as much as you can.

17. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

May 17, 2018

I didn't talk to my mentor about it but basically she is frustrated with the school/the para and she wants the para to sub to take some responsibility. She had to leave early one day and I took over and thankfully the kids were good.

I only have a week left but I am ready to leave my student teaching. It is honestly crushing my confidence as a teacher. This year, I thought I did an ok job relationship building with kids and I thought most of the kids liked me. I do know two kids that don't like me but I knew not every kid would like me. My mentor and I were talking today and she basically said that the all of the kids in one of our classes do not like us and we need to work on relationship building. She says that they do not like us or respect us because we have no control over the boys. I'm not sure what to do because my mentor only tells me to ignore the behavior of the boys. I went home and started crying because I just feel defeated that she thinks the students do not like me. I was going to write my students each a card on my last day next Friday but I'm not even sure anymore.

18. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 18, 2018

I have a feeling that your mentor is beating you down and for some reason perhaps feels threatened by you and is trying to make you feel bad about your abilities. If your students dislike you or did not respect you then you would definitely know about it because you would have found it much much harder in your classroom management. Students who dislike and don’t respect their teachers tend to make their life hell whenever they can. The fact that you made inroads in classroom management means that at the very least they respected you.

19. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 18, 2018

Middle school can be rough. Even with a group mentality that feels like everyone dislikes the teacher, there are surely kids who quietly appreciate your efforts. I'd even go as far as to say the majority probably do.

20. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 18, 2018

Because society has gone to hell and we can't give real consequences anymore.
    :mad: