First Year 7th Grade Teacher

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by firstyearteacher18, Jul 12, 2018.

1. firstyearteacher18

firstyearteacher18 New Member

Jul 12, 2018

Hi everyone! I'm heading into my first year of teaching! I'll be teaching 7th grade ELA in South Carolina and so far I am at a loss with where to even begin with loading up on necessary supplies! Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare or what supplies/decorations I should be stocking up on before the school year begins? My school also does not provide any assistance in buying school supplies so any advice on how to afford everything I may need would be great!

Thank you so much in advance!! :)

3. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 12, 2018

Is there a supply list provided to your students or do you create one to give out? That's where I'd start. Find out, if you can, what students are generally asked to bring. Also find out if books are provided for a classroom library.

I don't think there's that much you will really NEED so I would hold off on spending too much money. It'll be helpful to have lined paper on hand, but often students bring some. Also writing utensils (pencils, pens, maybe highlighters) and sticky notes. Again, these may be on the supply lists.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 12, 2018

I wouldn't buy too much in the beginning. You'll probably do better when you buy things as you see a need for them.

bella84 likes this.
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2018

Yes, don't buy anything. Maybe a bag for yourself or some pens that you really like, but don't spend any more money until you get to new teacher orientation, see your classroom, and talk to colleagues. Find out what you actually need before you buy anything more.

6. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jul 13, 2018

Fellow 7th grade teacher here! I wouldn’t suggest buying too much at the beginning. See what your school provides first before buying any supplies. As far as decor is concerned buy whatever you feel is going to make your classroom a comfortable, inviting space for you and your students. If you do want to get some supplies, I saw on Facebook (although not the most reliable resource, so do your research) that they are giving teachers a 15% discount on school supplies!

7. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Jul 24, 2018

New 7th grade teacher here as well. I will be teaching 7th grade science in Rhode Island. I've just purchased some basic stationary/office supplies, but nothing extreme. However, one thing I was always told by my mentoring teachers during my teacher prep program was to load up on computer paper. The district I am working in provides teachers with 1-2 packages of computer paper per quarter...the stuff seems to be like gold and hard to come by when you run out of the district's handout. You may even want to have your students each purchase a package, along with their basic supplies, even if it's the regular $5 packaged paper from Staples. You can tell them there will be times during the year they will have to do assignments using it and simply keep it stored in your room.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 24, 2018

I would wait on the paper, too. Not all schools operate like that, so it’s best to find out if your school has limits on paper or if it is freely available.

I’ve worked at both types of schools. At one, we received one ream per month. At my current school, we can grab a ream out of the closet every day if we want to. It’s unlocked and open for all. I’ve even taken a ream home when I was doing school-related printing on my home printer (for convenience, not because my school doesn’t have printers readily available).

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 24, 2018

I second waiting on paper.

We have access to a ton of paper, but we are limited on copies we are allowed to print. To use the printer we have to sign in to the printer, and once we are out of copies, too bad for us. We are also limited to one printer cartridge a year for classroom printers.

My husband's school is completely different. They aren't limited on copies or ink.