First year 2nd grade teacher

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by teachergirl2481, Dec 16, 2012.

1. teachergirl2481

teachergirl2481 New Member

Dec 16, 2012

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new here. I just landed a job teaching second grade in a rough area. I am a first year teacher. I observed the class for a few days. There has been a sub in the class since school started. To put everything very nicely the class was a complete mess. The sub had no idea how to handle a class. They played all day did no work the sub screamed when they got to loud, let them continue to play and do what they wanted but continued to scream at them. (bipolar I think) When I was in the room and tried to teach some things the sub told me to I had their attention. This sub would leave me in the class with them and they were controllable. But the moment he/she would return so would the behavior issues and noise.
    The sub had no idea what lesson they were on nor could tell me where I should pick up on in teaching. What was told to me was completely wrong because I found out he/she was told specifically not to do that unit or tell me to do it. Now I have this class who is out of control because that has been engrained in them since September, have never had a complete lesson taught in any subject, a classroom which was a storage room for all the grades so I have everything in there this sub cleaned nothing.
    I haven't even officially started my first day which is this week before Christmas break and I am already overwhelmed. If anyone has suggestions for behavior modifications or can help me in trying figure this mess out I would appreciate it greatly. :help::(

3. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Dec 16, 2012

First of all :hugs: Starting any teaching job the week before a holiday break can be difficult. You mentioned the kids were controllable while you were with them without the sub; that's a great start. Be consistent with everything you do. Have clear rules, consequences, and expectations. Be prepared to back up consequences for unacceptable behavior. Good luck and breathe!

4. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Dec 16, 2012

I am not a teacher yet, so take my advice with a grain of salt but I would say the top priority would be to go in there with a classroom management plan in place, lay it down as soon as you get there, and continually reinforce it. Even if the students have been goofing off all year, I would be willing to be most of them will be able to change their behavior once they understand that you are not going to tolerate it. So yeah, I'd say to go in there and lay out clear expectations and reiterate those expectations frequently so that they know exactly what is expected of them. Good luck! And I definitely wouldn't expect too much in the first week, I imagine the kids are already starting to check out in anticipation of break, what a strange time to have you start!

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 16, 2012

I started two weeks before Christmas. I didn't observe however- I just jumped in. Treat this time like you would the first days of school. Plan to practice every single procedure until they are sick of practicing. Use this coming week to get an idea of their weaknesses so you can spend the break planning your attack. They will be much lower than they should be so you have a very busy spring semester ahead of you.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 16, 2012

And my December start year was in second grade in a rough area as well.

PM me if you have questions after this week.

But get the message across that you mean business this week. You can build warm fuzzy relationships after the break.