First grade projects?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by hockey1021, Jun 6, 2008.

1. hockey1021

hockey1021 Rookie

Jun 6, 2008

What kind of projects do you give first graders - any subject?
    This is my first year teaching and I am trying to get an idea of homework and projects we can do throughout the year.

Any suggestions will help. THANK YOU!!

3. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jun 7, 2008

Congratulations and welcome to first grade!

I usually have the students do an "All About Me" Time-line to plot their growth from infancy to now

Community Project-they create a poster board/display board of their neighborhood

Careers-What I Want to be When I grow Up (didn't do this one yet-will do it this year)

100th Day Project

When I taught 2nd Grade-research project on a famous African American

hope this gets you started

Have Fun-teaching is a wonderful job!!!!:up:

4. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 8, 2008

We did a recycling project where the had to make something from things they would have thrown away--lots of milk carton bird feeders. lol

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 11, 2008

We always do a diorama for a book report. When I assign projects, I try to give them 2 weeks to complete them, or at least 2 weekends. That way if parents have to help, there is plenty of time.

In the past we have done dioramas for habitat - they created a habitat of their choice in the shoebox. Be sure you give clear directions of what you want.

For book reports, you can do a search online for ideas. They usually do this in the spring. I have them present their diorama to the class and give an oral report. They love it!

You might get some ideas from Steve Spangler's website. First graders generally LOVE projects.

6. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

We do September- family quilt- (from oriental trading)What you and your famiily like to do together introduction. I sometimes a do an all about me bag.
    October-Draw a map of your room
    November-Native American home- given a tribe and asked to find out what kinda home and to make a home.- This is a family project to promote togetherness and family unity
    December- too busy we do alot of things during December so no real big project
    January- Weather station report- report and record weather fora week- 100th day hat collect 100 objects and glue onto painters hat supplied by me.
    February- Dental Health poster- draw and label 4 ways to keep teeth healthy and 4 reasons we should keep them healthy
    April- Earth day quilt create a quilt patch (from oriental trading) that shows how you and your family plan to protect our earth.
    DEAR DAY create a poster to promote reading and highlight your favorite book as a family. Sometimes we do this in class.

7. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

Wow! Great ideas. May I "borrow" them? lol

8. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

We read a story about kids making musical instruments and playing in a band. We also learned about "How to" articles. Then I had the students create instruments out of things around their home, write a "How to" article, and present them to the class.
    I also read the Keeping Quilt to students and tied in patterns in nature (hexagons). I gave each student a hexagon to take home and decorate so that it represented themselves and their family. They brought them back and we glued them onto a large piece of paper to create a classroom quilt. Each student got the chance to explain their quilt hexagon to the class. It made a nice classroom display.
    Both of these were done 2nd semester.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 26, 2008

At the end of the year we do a research project on individual animals that we chose based on what animals the local zoo has. There are some concepts and skills to teach when doing this. They do a rough draft and then TYPE a final draft. They make a poster and do a presentation. We go to the zoo and they take pictures with their animals. If there is enough time they will use that picture for as part of a class book.