First Grade Community Service Project

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by mary_z, Jun 28, 2007.

1. mary_z

mary_z Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Hello everyone,
    I need help: As a student teacher next semester I need to come up with a community service project that my first grade students can do. We were given no specific guidelines, but I am having trouble coming up with ideas. :confused:

The school where I am placed is in a low SES area and most of my students will probably not have much “extra” to contribute (monetary). I had thought of maybe collecting cans, recycling them and donating the money to a charity that the students vote on. I also thought of collecting canned goods and donating them to the food bank. However, I was wondering if any of you have done anything like this. I would like to do something that the students can enjoy.

My personal goal is that the students in my class will realize that even as first graders they can make a difference.

Any suggestions?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

I haven't done anything like this with my HS math kids, but as usual I have an opinion.

How about something that little kids are great at: being cute.

Contact a local Senior Center or Nursing home. See if the kids can "adopt a grandparent" to whom they can send letters/pictures/cards. At holiday time you can buy a box of 25 for a few dollars, and have each child sign it and draw a picture... maybe even include a photograph.

Those elderly folks would love it!!

4. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 7, 2007

we do a school wide recycling newspaper drive. We send out a letter (students genterate ideas for letter) and we collect papers for a month.(around earth day) We walk to the recycling center. You will need help with this. I get the help of my parents, PTA, and staff to get the papers to the recycling center. We make a goal and have a tree (class made)with a goal meter. We set a goal in weight and we weigh the papers before they go to the rec. center. We do a week long study on rec. and we even recycle newspapers in class. Email me privately if you decide to do this and if you need help

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2007

I did an interesting project with the elementary school kids at my church where they decorated bags used to transport food for meals on wheels. I got really great feedback on that. Along the same lines, you could decorate plain white placemats for a local soup kitchen.

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 7, 2007

During student teaching my first graders wrote letters to local hospitals, hotels, and doctors offices (including places where kid's parents or relatives worked) asking for donations of hygiene products (like soap, little shampoo bottles, etc) and easy first-aid products (Band-Aids, etc). The kids sorted these into large Ziplocs that they decorated and donated these care packages to a local homeless shelter.

You might want to contact a local AmeriCorps center, or perhaps a volunteer coordination center if you're in a large area. They might have ideas for ways to help! :)

7. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jul 7, 2007

You posted this before I could get to it! :p I know that elderly citizens at nursing homes tend to be lonely, often they don't have family nearby, or if they do they may not be able to visit all of the time. Doing something as simple as making cards and sending them to the nursing home, or dropping them off, would make the biggest difference in the world to them.

8. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 7, 2007

How about donating dog/cat food to a local animal shelter?

9. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 7, 2007

homemade dog treats

The class could make homemade doggie treats (check with the shelters first!)

Dog Food Recipe Ingredients:
    • 1 3/4 cups flour
    • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar
    • 12 tbs. butter
    • 1/2 cup ground walnuts
    • 1 egg yolk
    • 1/2 cup vanilla extract
    • 2 tbs. toasted wheat germ
    Dog Food Recipe Directions:
    Combine ingredients, knead until thoroughly blended. Roll out till 1/2" thick. Cut into shapes or just squares. Bake at 375F on un-greased cookie sheet for 12-15 minutes. Cool. Store in airtight container. Keeps 2 weeks.

google "dog bone cookie cutters" , if needed

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 8, 2007

Check before you collect, some centers only want a particular brand. This way if an animal gets sick they know it wasn't because of the food.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Jul 8, 2007

Ditto the Nursing Home!

I can truly agree with Alicecc and MissMcCollum! I have brought my Girl Scout troops to nursing homes and senior centers, and they love them! Every senior wants to have a child read to them, sing, dance, and just get a hug. Some may shy away, but usually they come back later, when the big crowd has gone! I know my folks are in a nursing home, and every Sunday I see little children come visit, usually from local churches.

Have you considered teaming up with your local library? You can have your class do a theme and help decorate the children's department. Or you can invite librarian to visit you, and make sure all kids get cards. The kids can in turn visit regularly too, maybe donate gently used crayons to library box, or clean up outside the library (wearing gloves) once a week!

12. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 8, 2007

This may already be done in the school you will be in, but if not, it may work well for a low-SES school. Some of the schools in my area have students bring in those little metal tabs off of soda cans. These can be turned in to raise money for the Ronald McDonald houses. Your class could be responsible for getting this program started (getting the word out, jump starting the drive, setting up collection containers, etc.).

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 8, 2007

I have seen some schools paint free-standing bus shelters. The boards that are on the sides and back get painted by the students, and really brighten up a neighborhood. Call the transit authority and see if this is something you could do... would also go great with a transportation theme.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Jul 8, 2007

yes, and city trash cans!

And of course there are the regulars-March of Dimes, Crusade of Mercy, and the children's ward of your local hospital. Offer to decorate the halls for these kids to brighten up their day! Maybe become pen pals for a few children, (but not terminall ill...that could be too traumatic for your age group) in my opinion...maybe not

15. mary_z

mary_z Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

Awesome ideas

I knew I was asking the right group for help! I am keeping a list of all the ideas and will ask my mentor teacher to narrow it down to two. Then I will have the students vote on which project they would like to do. My mentor is so excited, she said she has never done a community service project, but may start to do one yearly after all the ideas you all have come up with!

16. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 9, 2007

Our first graders team up with the music teacher. We make a card for the Rest Home residents. The home is only four blocks from our school we walk down sing a couple songs and give each citizen a card.

The students get practice writing and coloring. Some of the time is recess, so they get some excerise walking.

They have cookies or a bag of popcorn in return for our students. It is special time for everybody.

17. coconutmama

coconutmama New Member

Jul 9, 2007

Hi! For the past 4 years I have done at least one community project with my class. The biggest one is for the 100th day of school which is a BIG deal in our area. I send out letters asking for tolietry type of items so we can see what 100 actually looks like in the class. I teach in a low income school and was surprised at how many items I would get because they were then donated to our local homeless shelter, a shelter for abused women and the men's shelter. We collected the items, counted them in groups of ten, graphed them and then donated them. This has been a very successful project for me and students know when it gets close to the 85th day the letter will be coming home to the whole school. Just an idea.