First fight to help break up

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Jan 11, 2017

Well, guess it was a matter of time before being involved in helping to break up a one-sided fight. Lunch room and some guy walks over to another guy and starts pounding him with fists. I get up, another student tries to stop it, and then I jump to help stop it. Eventually, another male teacher brings the fighter to the ground. At first, I wasn't going to get in the middle but then tried to help. Split second decision....

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

Jan 12, 2017

I'm glad no one got hurt! I am lucky to be in a school where fights are relatively rare and are broken up by campus security. I student taught in a school with frequent fights and my coteacher told me horror stories about getting involved. I think in my district we are told not to tough students, but to call for security, in case we end up causing more harm to ourselves or a student accidentally.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2017

I have said it before and I'll say it again: I think that it's a bad idea for teachers to intervene in physical altercations.

5. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2017

I remember hearing years ago where a pregnant teacher somewhere tried to intervene, wound up getting slammed in the abdomen, and lost the baby.

Yeah... I wouldn't intervene.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 12, 2017

I never intervene and they know it. Haven't had a fight around me or in my classroom for 3 years.

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Jan 14, 2017

Looking back at it, I probably should have let the bigger teachers, aka the coaches, take the lead. I don't know what I would do next time. I know never to interfere with girls fighting! Our school does not have a resource officer so it's up to the faculty to be vigilant.

8. GemStone

GemStone Cohort

Jan 14, 2017

No kid is worth you risking your job and future, and that's what you do when you intervene. The coaches also shouldn't be getting involved. Administrators should be called on the radio to break it up. If you have that many fights, then you need a police officer in the school.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 14, 2017

There was a very quick fight after school Friday, a girl from another high school came up and attacked one of our girls. Interestingly our girl was on top pounding here, so she wasn't much of a victim. (I don't know what her punishment will be and how they will handle it). It was quickly over.
    A few of us teacher were talking, and they were saying to never get involved with girls, because they fight viciously (they sounded somewhat undecided on boys). My point that I made was that even if a skinny teeny tiny teenage boy is fighting, when his elbow or fist accidentally hits you in the face, it will still hurt like crazy.
    Some teachers think that their voice can calm down the fighters, and I agree, sometimes it can help, but most of the time the kids who fight could care less about anything else in the moment.
    Another thing is, you getting involved and getting hit, the kids will be talking about you for weeks, you can be the topic of jokes.
    One of our female teacher tried to break up a girl fight last year, she was hit and found herself knocked down on the ground. She was ok, could've been worse, but the kids thought it was funny and they kept talking / laughing about it (only a few felt bad).

My policy is never to get involved. The only thing I can ever see myself get involved with if a large kid picks on a small kid, and jumps him / her, more like a form of bullying, and not the two of them having problems. In that case I would probably react quickly to save the smaller kid, and I might do something very harsh, so even then, it's not best.

10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Jan 14, 2017

Reflecting on this, I won't be a hero next time... I got very lucky. The attacker is a football player and one of the biggest and strongest boys in 11th grade. It took me, another strong football player, and two other coaches to finally bring it to an end. I won't be doing that again... I might try to get kids out of harms way instead of direct intervention.

11. GemStone

GemStone Cohort

Jan 15, 2017

Our protocol is to have bystanders leave the immediate area.