First Day ;)

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by clarnet73, Aug 15, 2011.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 15, 2011

So I have an unusual class makeup this year to begin the year (are we surprised? I think I post that same sentence every year...)...

We got our state grant for our PreK program, which is great, but it means that we have to re-screen all the kids we saw last spring. Many will qualify for classes... but rather than pay us to come in before school starts and re-screen them, we're doing it the first couple of days of classes since I have mornings free until our EI kids start coming.

So here's my problem... I'm starting with 5 kids. WONDERFUL!!! I had 3 of them last year, which is no problem, and I'm looking forward to seeing them all again. The other 2 were at a different school in the same program. I would guess that in the first 2 weeks of class, maybe even before that, I will gain at least 7 more.

So, what to do those first few days? I hate to give all the "how to clean up" and "how to use..." lessons when I know the rest of the class will need those lessons... the ones I'm starting with have already been in school last year, these new ones won't have that experience.

How do I get through the first couple days without needing to reteach EVERYTHING in week 2 when I double the class??????

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 15, 2011

If they have all been in either your class or your sister classes couldn't you just move into some of the less structured and more "play based" aspects. Not just full days of free play, but you know.....using the room? Sort of a Sr Pre K and Jr Pre K idea. Then let the elder students show the newbies the ropes when they get in.....and begin the classroom procedure section?

That's how it works here....but not everywhere.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 16, 2011

I think that might work. One of my little guys is on the spectrum, so I still need to use the regular "structure," but you're right i can probably save lots of the procedural stuff for week 2 or 3 since these guys should already know...

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2011

I have heard of schools which start kids gradually, adding as the week goes on, and I always thought that would be difficult as a teacher. Do you just keep repeating the same stuff or what? I will be interested to hear how it works.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 17, 2011

Well, I think I'm down to 4 for the first day... found out today one is moving out of state. I think I'm going to make my "directed" activities very simple for the first week or so.. . some of them should already know how to use many of the materials, so I just want to get them in the routine. Then, they can be my "helpers" when the new kids come. One is on the spectrum and another has some challenging behaviors, so I need to get the routine established even if there aren't a lot of academic demands.

I hope the screened-in kids come quickly...

Last year, this class started in January with 6 kids; I had 10 by the end of the year. I like the small class, but 4 is TOO small (of course, last year i also had a sped class with 2 kids for 2 months before #3 joined us.. that class had 8 by the end). For my AM kids (all sped), they can start as they turn 3. It's a lot easier to add one kid into the mix than a whole bunch.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2011

I hope you get more in soon. I agree about 4 being too small. I have found there isn't enough energy in a really small group - and they get done with everything so quickly you really have to have more going on.

We had registration today and I was shocked at the low numbers. It is scary. It was only the first day, but both my classes filled the first day last year and one isn't even half full. In all the classes we offer - over 20 - only 2 filled. Hope things get better in the next 2 weeks.