first day yikes

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by lark265, Jun 11, 2018.

1. lark265

lark265 Rookie

Jun 11, 2018

I started teaching a Special Education high school classroom today - eight male students on the Autism spectrum. Many behaviors, self-control issues, etc. Anyway, it was tough today. I had planned (or thought so) for the day. I thought I had planned for each moment of my class (today I taught I a 1.5 hour Geography class). But I was mistaken. It was, like one assistant said, like "herding cats." I knew I had lost control. Talk-outs, students yelling out, talking to each other.........you know the drill. Crappy classroom management. Afterwards, I got plenty of input from other teachers, assistants..... It helped, but boy was I feeling like crap. I have been teaching for a while now and feel that I "should" have done better. OK, enough self-demeaning. My co-teacher had good advice: "Use your teacher voice. You are the Master of Ceremonies. Plan better." I don't like not succeeding. Not fun. Now I know....

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jun 14, 2018

What do you feel worked really well? Hang in there. Be kind to yourself. Trust that having room for improvement does not mean you are stuck where you were on your first day.

4. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jun 29, 2018

Classroom management will always be something that all teachers constantly work on to get better...so don't feel bad about improving. Here are my suggestions to help you.

1) Implement a reward/consequent chart for each student. Sometimes it is better if students can view how they are behaving. This doesn't need to be anything fancy. Maybe when a student reaches 10 positive marks, he/she receive a small prize. I would also make it so you can remove a positive mark when a student isn't acting appropriately, which would be the consequence.

2) From day one, enforce your expectations. It is very important for you to be in control of the classroom and you must show that it is your classroom by enforcing your expectations. It isn't being mean, it's setting the standard.

3) Offer students who are acting inappropriately two choices: act appropriately or be removed from the classroom. Use this technique only when needed. Don't allow a student the opportunity to receive attention for inappropriate behavior.

4) Have an alternate assignment ready to go for students who do not want to act maturely/appropriately. The alternative assignment should not be fun; however, it should somehow be relevant. Usually if the alternative assignment is "worse," behavior will change to remain in the classroom.

These are just suggestions...hopefully one will work.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2018
  5. Aces

Aces Companion

Jul 1, 2018

Let's not forget that there are days when even the best teachers have poor classroom management. There are days when nothing you try to do goes correct. Those are the days you say "Welp got sunburnt today, I'll wear some sunscreen tomorrow". Sometimes that's just how the cookie crumbles. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just do better tomorrow.