First Day of School mid-school year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChildWhisperer, Mar 7, 2018.

1. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Mar 7, 2018

Due to a recent grant approval, the district is opening up a few preschool classrooms and getting the older kids off the waiting list to get them some school experience before they go to Kinder this fall!
    So the first day of school for these kids is later this month, and I was just hired to "open" one of these classrooms.
    The P said even if we just work on basic skills like how to sit and listen, or line up, or go to the bathroom, etc., it'd be better than nothing.
    I don't know if I even have a question here actually.
    Just a little nervous, I guess, because it's a new job!
    I did quit my previous job mid-school year and it was total fate that I found this one AFTER I quit and they happen to be starting soon (when I applied, I thought it'd be for the next school year! Found out otherwise during the interview)
    Has anyone else started school in the Spring with a brand new classroom and group of kids? It's their first day of school as well. I'm just glad I won't be the only one and there will be others in my boat. I think the P said most of these classrooms will be filled by long-term subs, which makes sense since it's towards the end of the year!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2018

Good news - most of these students will be so new to the school system calendar that they will have little concept that there is anything "different" about their situation.

4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 7, 2018

Years and years and years ago, that was what some places did. If you had an early birthday, you started K in fall; if you had a later birthday, you started K in spring. So auntie born in August started K in fall, but mom at the end of March started K in January. They did away with that system though, so mom ended up skipping a grade.

I don't see why starting a class now is much different as a teacher than starting in the fall. It doesn't seem like you have much in the way of curriculum objectives to worry about.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2018

I don't see why starting a class now is much different as a teacher than starting in the fall. It doesn't seem like you have much in the way of curriculum objectives to worry about.

viola_x_wittrockiana, Wednesday at 4:57 P

Yep, I agree...

These kids are new and so are you, so it's is Sept to them. Trust me, this is a whole lot easier than coming in the 2nd semester and taking over a class. Been there, and it was rough. This is your room! You decorate with your basic posters and supplies. Now you put up your spring stuff, or get to the storage room and grab the bright, pastel colors for making signs! Might have to adapt or create a "Welcome to Pre-K - Room 2" poster on a sun, or flower, or something even more abstract. Everything else you would normally do in August you would set up now. Name charts, label lockers/cubbies, make a helper chart, get bus/walkers chart, set up rules for lunch/snack., etc. You got this!

Remember these kids are a bit older (probably already 5), and have been at home or maybe transferring from other preschools/day care centers. You maybe be lucky and blessed to have some basic academic and social skills out the way. They should be able to spell their names, know the alphabet, count to 20 or more, tie their shoes, and line up. You'll have less clinging (from kids and parents lol) fewer tears, and that will make your job a lot easier.

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Mar 11, 2018

Ah that's the thing - I don't have access to the classroom or the school yet so I can't put up anything. I don't have a roster so I can't make labels with their names on it. I don't know what the school will be supplying and what I'll need to supply.

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2018

Trust me CW, you’ll get all that info before you know it!! Perhaps you could make a quick inventory of what you have & pick up a few things that you may need. A teacher’s gradebook for starters. Maybe stash your treasures in your car or garage so you’re ready. Save your receipts because you may get reimbursed by the school, or you can write it off on taxes next yr. . I’m sure if you started on something it would help minimize your fears.

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2018

Or, you could grab a few good books and just relax.

A favorite of mine - “The First Days of School”, by Harry Wong

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Mar 13, 2018

@Master Pre-K
    Thanks, the principal told me they have "a team of people" working on it and to not worry about it, and the supplies/furniture won't even arrive until next week anyway (the week before school starts!).
    She's having a get-together for the new Pre-K teachers to meet and whatnot so I guess we'll be going over some stuff then! I feel slightly more relaxed but still a little panicked because I usually have everything done & set up at least 2 weeks before school starts! :rolleyes:

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2018

You're welcomed CW. Yes, we all have butterflies at one time or another, and try hard not to be over achievers and eager beavers. Think ahead to the future.... "Ms. Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten" by Ashley Wolff comes to mind!