First Day of School Books (grrrr...)

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Silmarienne, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Aug 15, 2011

:) Every First Day of School Book seems to end with a picture of all the kids happily painting, playing with blocks, coloring, reading books, etc.

My first day of school looks nothing like that! How could it, when the kids have to be introduced to materials and procedures and expectations.... that's pretty much what we do for the first two days, is lots of me talking and eliciting responses about the Golden Rule and how we handle different transitions, the bathroom, eating, sitting, and so on. I spice it up with songs and "The Freeze Game", the "Circle-Up" game, etc so it's fun, but is just seems to me that trying to establish the kind of scenario they show in the books (Miss Bindergarten, Franklin's First Day of School, etc) would result in a free-for-all.:rolleyes:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

That's how they sell the books!!!!

Can you imagine if Harry Wong started his books by saying: "This is largely common sense. But buy my book anyway"????

They paint a picture of the ideal working enviornment-- and hope you'll get it.

Sure, each of those books probably contain some real nuggets of wisdom. And simply reading them causes self reflection, wihich is probably the best benefit.

But they're the sitcoms of the education world, where every problem is solved in 22 minutes. Reality seldom matches those sitcoms.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 15, 2011

Remember, those books are fiction. They are not real, nor are they realistic.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

Sorry, I misread. I was thinking of Teaching books, not the ones the OP named.

Serves me right for being online on a rainy day before a cup of tea!!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

....but do save some time on those first days for some fun:love:
    You can get all your "must dos" done without constant lecturing. Let the kids help make the rules, play those games you mentioned but incorporate some of your transitions during them...I'm sure your kids are thinking that these days are exciting...don't be so hard on yourself!:love:

7. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Aug 15, 2011

czacza! Thanks for reminding me that they are just babies and need the first days to be fun and happy. Otherwise, what's the point? :)

8. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Aug 15, 2011

:lol:

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

I have though exactly the same thing. I try to find the ones showing kids doing a little for academics activities and skip parts that show paint (cuz that ain't happenin' on the first day!)

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 16, 2011

That's funny! I never noticed that but you're absolutely right. Maybe they don't want to scare teachers--"Miss Bindergarten Needs Tylenol in Kindergarten" might be a more appropriate title! ;)

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 16, 2011

I tell my kiddos that these are some of the fun things we will get to do later in the school year!

12. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

:yeahthat: I say the same thing. It gives them something to look forward to.

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2011

Yeah, right, sure.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2011

Well, maybe we'll get to some of those fun things by Junes! :eek: The kiddos don't know that though.

15. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 17, 2011

You know, it is strange to me that some of the blogs and activities in magazines NEVER would work in my classroom. How do people get through so much. We never master money and they kids just don't really get vowels right away... but it is always seems it work in other people classes!