First Day Morning Work

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Jul 11, 2008.

1. MrsTP

MrsTP New Member

Jul 20, 2009

I really love the large word search idea. How did you make it?

2. gab

gab Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

I'm glad you asked about this as I was thinking of doing this bulletin display again for my coming group. You could do this by hand, rather than on the computer.

I took a centimeter grid and started a name plan. Names only went across, down, diagonally(left top to bottom right)...backwards seemed too difficult. I circled the names on the grid so I'd have an answer sheet.

Once I had all student names(and my own) on the grid, some crossing others, I added some phrases and other words: school is fun, art, recess, math, reading, second grade rocks, etc for added fun.

Then I added misc. letters to open spots on the grid choosing whatever letter popped in my head or intentionally choosing the same letters to throw the kids off.

Then in a blank document on the computer, I cap locked and typed in the letters according to the plan. I think I did the format as landscape so I could make each row longer if I needed. As this was a few years ago I'm trying to remember what I did. I think I typed a letter and then tabbed once and added the next letter until each row was complete. You may need to adjust your letter size or your tabbing. I may have also just hit the spacebar a few times between each letter.

I added a word list to the bottom of the page. I then folded a copy into quarters and enlarged each onto 11x17 paper. Pieced them together and put them on the bulletin board. You could make more sections to do more enlarging.

I enlarged the word search list and attached it to the bulletin board. As new students were added to my list, I just added a new row or column, with their name within the row or column and added them to the list.Once complete I printed a master so I could make copies so the kids had their own word search and I had a master answer sheet.

It takes a bit of time but I don't think it's really that difficult and the kids loved it! A few weeks after school I teach the kids how to make their own word search to do with our spelling words every week...it's our Friday activity. They create them and then trade them if they want to challenge a friend or they take them home for a family member to do.

If you do it and come up with any shortcuts I'd love to hear them...good luck!

3. lemons11

lemons11 Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

I like my kids to decorate name tags for themselves and then fill out a questionaire about themselves that include their name, how old they are, their favorite food, favorite subject, and draw a picture to go with it.
    childrenscomprehension.com

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2009

I do this too except the outline that they color is glued to the top of a black piece of construction paper and they write first, middle, and last name on the black paper in chalk. Then they trace their hands glue to the paper so it looks as though they are standing behind a name sign and holding it up.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2009

How about a get to know me sheet?
    Favorites?
    Least favorites?
    Talents?
    Fears
    hobbies
    etc