First Day Ideas

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Maryhf, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2007

Let's share some ideas about getting to know kids on the first day. Since I'll have about 80 kids, I have each student fold a sheet of construction paper in half and neatly write their name. Then they must make 4 small drawings that tell something about themselves and explain to the class. They have to use these for the first week until I learn names.
    I found an activity from a link here somewhere called a "Buddy Venn" where you team 2 students up to compare their likes and dislikes. They put things in common in the center. I think it will be good since we use a lot of graphic organizers.

3. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I'm not positive (and am still searching for ideas) but I think I am going to have loads of newspapers and magazines for the students to look through. Each student will get a piece of paper, markers/crayons, scissors, and glue & will be asked to make a collage that represents their hobbies, interests, favorite things, etc. I thought that the collages would make a great beginning of the year bulletin board as well :)

4. bigcat

bigcat Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I read about this somewhere and am thinking of trying.....have a list of say..20 questions to hand out. Pair-up the students and pass out the questions. They are to interview each other...maybe pick 10 of the questions...then take that home (or studyhall) and write a short paragraph about their partner. I will give them 1 or 2 days to complete and then will draw names for several (or all) to read or tell about (in speach form) their partner. This is 3-fold. I get to learn about the students....and they each other....I get to see how they write (grammar and punctuation) and also get to see who is a producer, ect. It may be fun for them as well. I won't grade...but I'm not telling them that...:lol: What do you think? Any ways to tweak this...ideas? Thanks!!!

5. tiredteacher29

tiredteacher29 Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

I found this really fun idea online somewhere:
    "Years ago before I got into administration, I would start every year off with this game. I would take out about 100 post-it notes and then give one to each student. Students would get in circle. Each student writes a noun (person, place, or thing) on the card. Then they stick the post-it on the forehead of the person to their right, noun showing. Each person then gets a turn to ask the group a "yes/no" that will help them guess what it is. If they don't get it right, we move on to the next person in the circle clockwise. I usually give some sort of prize to the three people that took the least number of guesses to get it right."

I have more if you're interested!

6. JAZ1

JAZ1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

This will be my first year teaching 6th grade. Last year I taught 4th grade. I was just curious on different activities the students could do that could be used at back to school night... I have a few things in mind but was curious to find out what other 6th grade teachers do. Thanks!!!

7. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I REALLY like this idea because it can be applied across the board...even in my science class! What a nice ice breaker for the kids and like you said, a great way to help spruce up the room as well! :D

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

During freshman orientation, our kids design their own coat of arms.

They made up a template. It has 3 separate sections. Into each one, the kids draw something that tells us something about himself. So, for example, one might include a soccer ball, an Irish flag, and a picture of his pet dog. There's also a place in which they place their personal motto.

They're posted in the freshman homerooms for the first few months of school.

9. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I am not sure what I am going to do on the first day, you guys all have some really good ideas. I really like the post it note idea, but I don't think how I can apply that to Math. I really want to do something to get them up and moving around. This thread is really helpful. Thanks

10. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Tiredteacher29 I woud love to know where you got that one from or like to hear more if you have some good things for a math class.

11. tiredteacher29

tiredteacher29 Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Honestly I've just been googling icebreakers+middle school! :) When you're doing getting to know you activities do you think it really has to be about math? I just picked these out as get to know you activities, not thinking about subject matter.

Here's another one:You have probably heard of the activity in which students grab a handful of M&Ms; during introduction time, they must share a fact about themselves for each M&M they took. This activity offers a slight twist on that one. In this case, the students might take the M&Ms, or the teacher might hand them out. But the M&Ms are color coded! Each M&M refers to a special topic that the students will need to talk about as they introduce themselves to their classmates. For example, for each M&M that is red students might have to share a hobby they enjoy; for each brown M&M, students might tell about a favorite book; for each green M&M students might tell about a quality they would like in a friend. Other possible topics might include favorite places students have visited or would love to visit, foods they like, favorite school subjects, goals in life, etc. You might even involve students in creating the list of topics. You might be the first to model the introduction process so students know what is expected of them.

12. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Jul 29, 2007

That's a good way to find them, never thought of that. I guess you got a point. I was just over thinking the purpose of the activity. Thanks for pointing that out for me!! I tend to do that a lot :eek:...

13. tiredteacher29

tiredteacher29 Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I'm with you there, I'm a total over-thinker myself!:lol:

14. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Good...at least I'm not alone...:toofunny:..

15. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Thanks, I like this idea for the very reason you gave as well. I found out last week that I'll be primarily teaching 6th grade, but will have the 5th grade class for 2 periods per day for Math and Science (while my 6th graders go to the 5th grade teacher for ELA I believe).

Since I'll have the 5th graders for a while each day, I figured I could do this project with them as well, and their personalities and creations can help decorate our room as well!! :)

If you decide to use this, I'd be interested in hearing how it goes!

16. logan_morgan

logan_morgan Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

I have done the interview questions and it's lots of fun - you get to know the kids as they get to know each other. I use different questions, like, "If you were forced to get a tattoo, what would it look like?" In Language Arts we create boxes that I hang from the ceiling. On each side of the box, they illustrate something specific about themselves. We also cut out t-shirts out of 12x18 white construction paper and they design a t-shirt that represents themselves and I have those posted at Open House. With the collage idea, I did that many years ago when I had a self-contained classroom and I divided it up into 4 quadrants and specified what would go in each quadrant: a paragraph about themselves; an illustration of themselves and their family; pictures of their favorites or things they like; words and phrases that describe themselves. Since only the last two required cutting and pasting, it took less time and less resources. I also took a photo of each student and glued it in the middle of the collage. There's also the old paper bag activity - putting 5 things in a bag that describe themselves and then sharing with the class. I learn a lot about the kids that way and do that with my homeroom at the beginning of the year.