First Day Activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kbunch24, Jul 17, 2007.

1. kbunch24

kbunch24 Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

What are some first day activities that really help to get to know each other. I think that last year I really didn't know how to approach this subject. (It was my first year teaching) I'm also curious how your first week is spent. What are the activities you do. How soon do you jump into the curriculum. Can anyone help.

3. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

Last year we did a glyph, a classroom wordsearch, and even had a quiz on the 1st day (it was a fun quiz, about me). They kids all knew each other, it was just me getting to know them, so they didn't need to explore the school, etc. I think this year I may do a textbook scavenger hunt as well.

I will probably start "teaching" from the curriculum the 2nd day, but not full time until the 2nd week.

4. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Hi There are many previous posts on this topic that will help you. Look back to 7-4 and 6-26 in this forum. You can do a search on first day and find them that way too.

I always send a little lunch bag home the first day and they have to put 3-5 things in the bag that says something about themselves. Then we share these over the entire week. Read alot of books on school, friendship, etc.

5. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I have a "Welcome to First Grade" pack. It contains different fun pages(coloring, dot-to-dot) They also tell me what they want to learn in 1st grade. We read alot of books together in the meeting area. Name bingo is always fun and its easy to make.

6. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

With third grade, we made a time capsule at the beginning of the year. Each child had to answer some questions about themselves (favorite color, tv show, song, sport, etc), draw a self-portrait, measure themselves with a piece of yarn, and anything else you might want to put in there. Then, at the end of the school year, they completed all tasks again and compared everything. They got a kick out of seeing how their handwriting changed (print to cursive), how much better they drew, and how much they had grown.

7. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Mommy2wad that sounds like alot of fun.

8. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jul 17, 2007

The Mailbox book September

"A Month of Ideas at your Findegertips!" TEC 192 has a cute time capsule activity in it

I think that I will have my students do this activity this year!

9. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I give them a getting to know you sheet with several things on with a blank in front of it like this:
    _______________________went to Six Flags
    _______________________ wearing new shoes
    _______________________ bought a new book
    _______________________ babysat their sister/brother
    _______________________ went fishing
    _______________________ shelled peas/butterbeans, etc.

...things that they were likely to have done during the summer. Then each child mingles and tries to find someone that has done that thing and gets them to sign their name in the blank. I try to add about 20-25 items. I will sign their paper, but only once. They should try to get as many signatures as possible, and I allow multiple signatures on one line if I see the need. At our small school most students already know each other, but they introduce themselves to new students as they mingle.

10. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I really like the quiz about the teacher (thanks...goopp!) I think I will use that this year. Something to get them working in their groups right away. I usually do a glyph. I read a lot of books during the first week. Begin talking about our Rights and Responsibilities and setting up procedures.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2007

Here I go again, showing my stupidity...
    Could someone please explain to me what a glyph is?

12. tiredteacher29

tiredteacher29 Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

13. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

I used the "Me" quilt last year. I changed some of the instructions to fit our student population (I think it was 1st done in Canada, so some things didn't make sense for Georgia). It turned out really cute!

14. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

Where do you get the "Me" pages? I didn't see where to download them.

15. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

I'd LOVE to have more information about your time capsule!!
    Do you happen to have some blackline masters or ideas you can PM/email?
    :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

16. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

click the 1st link in tiredteachers post. It's one of the glyphs on the site.

17. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Beezus--give me a day or so and I will get you some of the time capsule stuff that I used.

18. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Beezus--Here is my time capsule first day of school activity.
    Time Capsule Activity

1. Each child will complete the following activities to be included in the time capsule:

a. a handwriting sample (“When I grow up, I want to be…”)
    b. a tracing of their hand
    c. a self-portrait
    d. a piece of yarn measured to their height
    e. a completed questionnaire about their likes, dislikes, and hopes for the school year (this can be done individually or each child can be paired up with a partner, where each partner asks the other one the questions. At the end of the year, the students will again be put in pairs, complete the same questionnaire and then will compare the two to see if any answers changed.)

2. Then, the class will participate in a ceremony, where each child brings his/her “time capsule” to the front and it will be placed in a container (larger envelope) with the others to be put away until the end of the year.

Questions:

Name:_____________________

1. What is your favorite television show?

2. What is your favorite movie?

3. Who is your favorite star (movie, television, singer, etc.)?

4. Who is your hero?

5. What is your favorite color?

6. What is your favorite thing to do for fun?

7. What on thing do you hope to learn in 3rd grade?

8. What one thing do you wish you didn’t have to do in third grade?

Hope you can use it in your classroom. My kids really enjoyed it!

19. teal

teal Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I don't know about you guys but the first day goes by too quick for me....we usually have so much the school gives us to cover that time goes by quickly. I usually have a word search and have them complete a time capsule. I like the idea of a textbook scavenger hunt and might try to do that. I also like the idea of having them start working on their own autobiography book and sharing them at the end of the week. I still have mine from school and can use that as an example.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 18, 2007

I heard from another teacher that I worked with about a time capsule idea. Basically she was in tears because she had just opened a time capsule her daughter's teacher put together during her first grade year. Her daughter was graduating. It had a letter from the teacher, one from the parent, writing samples, all about me stuff, a picture and so forth. It was in a shoe box, wrapped up with brown postal/butcher paper and then again with construction paper. Then decorated by her daughter with a message not to open it until graduation.

21. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

I'm going to do an activity with my 5th graders that will last throughout the first day(s) of school. At the beginning of the day, everyone will write three statements on an index card. The first two statements are generic and the third one is personal. For example:

1. I was born in Arizona. (generic)
    2. My favorite subject is math. (generic)
    3. I have a dog named Honey Bun. (personal/specific)

I will collect all the cards and throughout the day, I will draw several cards at random. Everyone stands up and I will read the first statement. As long as the students agree with the statement (they were born in AZ), they continue to stand. If the statement doesn't apply (they were born in CA), they sit. Than I read the second statement and everyone stands/sits. Then by the time I finish reading the third statement, one student should be standing, which is the student who filled out the card. Then I have that student introduce themselves and tell us something unique about themselves. This is a great way for students to find out who they have things in common with and it breaks up the day a little bit by allowing them to move a little bit. I did it with my students (4th graders) this past year and they really enjoyed it.