Fired for giving a kid a zero!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, Sep 26, 2018.

1. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2018

futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 26, 2018

Apparently this is very common in my home state. Ridiculous.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2018

I have worked at schools that made us adhere to that policy. The reasoning is if kids got their act together and decided they wanted to pass, they could not come back from a zero. With a 50, they would not feel quite as helpless and might find the motivation to do better.

My experience has been that the students receiving a 50 were no more motivated than if they had a zero.

5. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Sep 26, 2018

I believe in not giving zeros. I just think that some US states are so stuck in using averages or weights to calculate grades that this 50% policy seems the only way to create a no zero policy. There are way better no zero policies. I don't average grades. I grade by standard using 1, 2, 3, 4 and then look at what they most consistently and most recently demonstrated.

As for the teacher, if her story is true, she wasn't fired for giving a 0. She was fired for failing to follow policies as laid out by her school - which is a perfectly understandable reason. Moreover, there are parts of her story that make me question it (like her years experience and being probationary - why would you leave a non-probationary position for a probationary position in a district whose policies you didn't agree with?) Also her description of the assignment does not sound to me like a well designed assignment. If they had 2 weeks there should have been check ins and consequences (like phone calls home, detentions, etc) if the student did have their prior steps done. If kids have nothing to hand in after 2 weeks of working in my class, that's on me.

6. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 26, 2018

Full disclosure: The school board disputes the assertion that she was fired for having given zeros.

7. irishrose

irishrose Rookie

Sep 26, 2018

"If kids have nothing to hand in after 2 weeks of working in my class, that's on me." LOL. If other people do not do their work, then that is my fault...
    o-kaaay...

8. irishrose

irishrose Rookie

Sep 26, 2018

"...no-zero grading policy, written in red in the school’s handbook, stating, “NO ZERO’S – LOWEST POSSIBLE GRADE IS 50%.”

Tirado says this sends the wrong message.

“If there’s nothing to grade, how can I give somebody a 50 percent?” she asked."

9. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 26, 2018

Locally, they have had teachers from the school quoted as saying that giving a zero gives the wrong message because if they have 3 zeros they can never come back (in the realm of grades, so to speak). They also state this has been the school's policy for years.

10. irishrose

irishrose Rookie

Sep 26, 2018

Maybe they should have thought of the possibility of getting zeros before not turning in the work. Teaching kids they can do absolutely nothing and still get some kind of credit most definitely sends the wrong message. The teacher in question was taking a stand against such a policy in general. I wish I could shake her hand.

blazer, futuremathsprof and Joyful! like this.
  11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 26, 2018

If a child puts in no effort and turns in no work, this is the ultimate in irresponsibility. I don't see how this should equal anything but a "0". I understand (although not always agree) rewarding effort, turning at least something in, making mistakes, etc...but no effort and turning nothing in? I don't think any teacher should be made to give points for that.

nstructor and futuremathsprof like this.
  12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Sep 26, 2018

blazer, you're fired for posting a thread when the same thread is running a few posts over!

blazer likes this.
  13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 26, 2018

This is why I accept late work though. If a student wants to scramble last minute and do a ton of work, fine, I'll take it for reduced credit. I'm even okay with a minimum fifty percent if the assignment was at least attempted. But no work should equal no credit.

14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 27, 2018

Exactly! 50% of 0 is still 0!

otterpop likes this.
  15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 27, 2018

You are an incredibly sensible person. I wish I worked with you as a colleague as I think you and I would get along great!

16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 27, 2018

You give me hope for America!

nstructor likes this.
  17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 27, 2018

That’s why you turn it in. Shocker! And then you don’t get zeros. Wow, imagine that. (To the students, not you, of course.)

18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 27, 2018

Full disclosure: The school lied about its own policy. It is bolded in red in their handbook that zeros are not permitted and they then told the press that they don’t do that.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  19. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2018

Surely I should get at least 50%?:D

20. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Sep 27, 2018

I also think the people who argue for not giving zeros really ought to start arguing instead for not using the 100 point grading scale. Especially if an entire school building is not allowing zeros, that school district really ought to consider switching over to a 4.0 scale instead! I think this would be less likely to be dismissed by others as it allows giving 0s without them being as devastating to the grade.

21. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Sep 27, 2018

It's a school policy NOT a district policy. And in the same handbook it shows an "I" as incomplete which equals a 0.

From ABC Action News:
    "When asked specifically about the wording of "no zeros" on the West Gate student and parent handbook, Padrick said:

"Some classroom teachers and school faculties have discussed the range of points for work submitted in each grading category.

This scale outlines a 10-point range for each letter grade:
    A = 90 to 100
    B = 80 to 89
    C = 70-79
    D = 60-69
    F = 50-59

A zero is noted on the scale for work not attempted or work that is incomplete.""

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018