"Fierce Conversations"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrsammieb, Oct 13, 2017.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 13, 2017

So, each year we have to do a book study as an entire school. This year we are reading Fierce Conversations by Susan Scott. It is very interesting.
    Yesterday at our faculty meeting we had to rate our team a 1-5-10 group/team. 1 being in inefficient, 5 being you collaborate but maybe are not under the mindset that these are all our kids, 10 being truly collaborative and you help all students achieve success. It was a great meeting. Then our principal had us get with our teams and decide what are true number was and how we could get to 10 if we were not already there. Ugh. Everyone thought we were already a 10 and that we had nothing to improve. Of course I respectfully disagreed. I tried to explain that we do not really PLC about our student's growth and that we should be discussing how to achieve all student success. How can I change this mindset? My team thinks we are the perfect team because we do copies for each other but really we are friends... not really collaborating?

3. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2017

Well, what should "true collaboration" mean and what would it really look like? I would think it would involve sharing teaching methods and standards, adhering consistently to them, getting input from everyone on a regular basis, etc.

This should include discipline procedures and communication procedures as well as pedagogical techniques.

I would imagine it would need regular -- probably weekly-- reviews/meetings of what was going on with each student.

Honestly, in not sure if be at a 10 with my wife with respect to raising or children. I'm much worse at enforcing discipline than she is.

If someone came up with a list of hypotheticals, would all the teachers in the group answer them the same way? If not, why?

I think the real aim of the exercise wasn't, "figure out if or teaching team is perfect", but rather, "figure out how we can improve". Your team kind of dodged the real point be immediately deciding there was nothing they could do better. This would be pretty disappointing to me.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2017

I don't think this was a particularly productive way of facilitating fierce conversation.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 14, 2017

Could you focus on integrating concepts? For example I am teaching the power of ten in math, and the science teacher is supporting this by using the metric system. We try to make our curriculum meaningful to our students' lives, both to increase success academically and to promote engagement.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 14, 2017

Trying to convince your team of something they don't want to believe isn't worth it. They will only resent you. "Someone who is convinced against their will is of the same opinion still." Ben Franklin

Instead, I would let it go. In addition, be the example you want to achieve. For example, I use to be on a grade level team that never shared ideas. I started saying oh here are some things I use in ______ unit that you might be interested in--I'll leave copies in your mailbox. It wasn't long before they started to share some ideas with me.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. svassillion

svassillion Rookie

Oct 14, 2017

I completely agree. If you all are friends now, don't jeopardize it by calling out the lack of collaboration. If you're looking to collaborate more, come up with a problem you need their help solving (even if you have to make something up). Hopefully by initiating this problem-solving as a team, they'll be more likely to bring problems and ideas to the team too and you've sparked collaboration.