Field Trips

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Becky1A, May 24, 2004.

1. Becky1A

Becky1A Rookie

May 24, 2004

I am excited that my director has given me one day a week to take my class of 3’s and 4’s on Field Trips, but I am having trouble thinking of places to take them. I have a separate day each week for the park, and a separate day to go to open swim. What kind of places do you take your classes to? I have already made arrangements with the Humane Society, an ice cream store, and the zoo. But I have nine more Tuesdays to fill for the summer. I need to give her a competed schedule by Friday. I would appreciate any suggestions.

3. Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike Rookie

May 24, 2004

it really depends whats near you. what they love is the Fire Stations, Police Dept ect.

4. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

May 24, 2004

Some fast food restaurants let small classes come in and make their own meals, like pizzas, burgers, etc. I don't know where you live or if this is a possibility, but farm animals are always fun for kids if you know some place you could visit. Fishing would be fun, if you could get parent volunteers. You might also check with your state's department of conservation to see what summer activities they have planned. If you have an area Parks & Recreation Dept., check with them to see if they have any mini day camps. Does your local movie theater offer family movies throughout the summer? What about mini golf? These are all things my four year-old likes to do, but it all depends on what your area has to offer. I hope this helps a little.

5. becky

becky Guest

May 24, 2004

We have taken our three year old to a potato chip factory, a farm store to see chicks and ducklings, a dairy farm, and I forget what else. Since we're working on money I plan to ask our bank if they give tours, or if they would just do a little something for her. Does your town have a park or something that volunteers maintain? If so, maybe your little ones could help with some planting. If not, maybe a plant farm or florist could do something for you.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

May 24, 2004

I took a kindergarten class to the grocery store once. There is so much to learn. The manager takes the group through the produce, meat, dairy, and bakery areas. You can't get the behind the scene look, but this is a great learning opportunity and a fun place to play "I spy." For example you could make a list of things (with the kids) that you want or can find at the grocery store. Of course with this age group the list would only be 5 items long. Wow sequencing comes to mind. Remember Sesame Street, "I need a stick of butter, a quart of milk, a loaf of bread..." The neat thing is generally they treat the little ones with stickers or cookies from the bakery maybe. There are so many shapes and colors in the grocery store too.
    Have fun.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 24, 2004

Do you have a Dollar store near you? You can get all kind of great stuff at them, and kids I work with love picking out something there (plus, it doubles as work on 1:1 corespondance... 1 item for 1 dollar, 2 items for 2 dollars, etc).

8. Margo

Margo Devotee

May 25, 2004

What about the library? Maybe you can get them to check out books. Also, most libraries have a story hour.

About the grocery store - some do offer a behind the scenes tour. I once went on a grocery store field trip and they took the kids all around in the back of the store. That was neat - something that kids (and most parents) don't ever get to see.

9. Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike Rookie

May 25, 2004

take them some of the state parks

10. Regina

Regina Guest

May 25, 2004

Something fun, got a Krispy Kreme around you? They do tours too.

How about the Zoo? How about a local wildlife park?

Olive Garden does tours...

11. becky

becky Guest

May 25, 2004

There's a way to get my hubby interested in helping with school- hook him up with a tour at Krispy Kreme!!

12. Becky1A

Becky1A Rookie

Jun 1, 2004

Thank you

Hi Everyone,
    Thank you so much for your wonderful ideas. I have a few phone to make. Thanks again.
    Becky

13. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Jun 3, 2004

The grocery store is one of my favorites. Call ahead...you MAY be able to get behind the scenes. I once did 3 separate trips to the grocery store for 3 different themes. When we did baking, they took us behind the counter to see the ovens and machinery and how they decorate a cake with a picture from someone. Then, they gave us all cookies! :D

When we did fruits and veggies, we checked out that area and talked with the guy in THAT dept. and when we did stuff with meats or fish, we went to THAT department.

We also visited a flower shop for a behind the scenes tour when we did that unit.

If you have a Rainforest Cafe near you, they do wonderful trips with tours of the "Rainforest" and a meal. California Pizza Kitchen also does tours.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 4, 2004

My kinders visited PetCo. It was a free trip, we got a tour of the store, plus we bought our class hamster at the same time. I've also taken younger kids to various farms, hands-on musuems, library story hours, bookstore story hours. I think Pizza Hut does tours.

15. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jun 10, 2004

My Kindergarten class all made cards just saying to have a great day and so on, and we went on a field trip to our local nursing home. The people there loved everything and all the kids went around to different rooms and gave their cards to them and talked for a while. Also, our local floral shop donated some roses for us to give to them too. Everybody had a good time with this and they learned what it's like in a nursing home, since many didn't know. We alos prepared a song that they sang. Hope this helps!

16. Flo_teach

Flo_teach Guest

Jun 10, 2004

Just out of the curiousity, how did you come up with the field trip to Petco? please give me details

Thanks

17. Flo_teach

Flo_teach Guest

Jun 10, 2004

I've been to Petco field trip, too

My kids had a blast, it was a free field trip through Field Trip Factory, they got goodie bags and get to pet the hamsters

If anybody interested, check it out at www.fieldtripfactory.com

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 10, 2004

It was through the Field Trip Factory. I don't know how I found out about it. My kids had a great time. I forgot about the goodie bags.