Field Trip Ideas

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by dosdynamites, Mar 11, 2008.

1. dosdynamites

dosdynamites New Member

Mar 11, 2008

I live in CA and I need some field trip ideas for my 6th graders. Normally, our district allows 6th graders to attend camp for a week but due to some unwanted incident our school no longer attends. So, I need other great ideas for field trips to compensate for the fact that they can't go away for a week. Any suggestions?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 11, 2008

First figure out why they can't go. Is it because they can't leave for a week or is it because that destination is invalid for some reason now. Also, was that trip tied into your unit before?

The reason I ask is because you could do your own camping trip thing and tie it into your curriculum. You could even still do it while going to school during the day. Kids would go into overtime for that.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 11, 2008

:welcome:

5. lostlady21

lostlady21 New Member

Mar 16, 2008

The fieldtrip our kids loved the most, which had to be eliminated due to cost was our trip to Medieval Times. Ties in perfectly with most sixth grade curriculum because of SS.

6. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Mar 17, 2008

How about a natural history museum? Atrip to a river to look at watershed. Beaches? Parks to look at rock formations?

7. MsMongoose

MsMongoose Companion

Mar 17, 2008

You don't say where in CA you are--it's a long state. The Monterrey Bay Aquarium is fantastic, and v. educational. Sharks, jellyfish, sea anemones, an octopus, kelp 3 stories high, cuttle fish, "sea dragon", and baby otters--what more could you want ? Admission is $13.95 per student, which is a bit steep, but it is wonderful. No, I don't work for them LOL, we were just there (as a family). There is also tidepooling and CA history in Monterrey.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 17, 2008

Fantastic resource: Fun and Educational Places to Go with Kids and Adults in Southern California by Susan Peterson, and now up to its seventh edition (I think). See http://www.funplaces.com, and there's a list of links at http://www.funplaces.com/links.htm. Most Auto Club offices carry this book.

9. appleaday

appleaday Rookie

May 13, 2008

You might also consider taking them to one of our state's natural caverns in central California. There is Boyden Caverns, Mercer Caverns, and a few others I can't think of on the top of my head. Goes with the rock cycle in science.

10. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

If you are in the Bay Area - there is the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco (Chinese brush painting and Japanese teas are two activities they do - there are more). There is the Rosicrucian museum in San Jose (Egyptian).

Not knowing where you are... these are the two I am looking into working in Belmont teaching 6th .