Field trip and subbing.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hokiegrad1993, May 3, 2018.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 4, 2018

Often, if a teacher is out on the day of a trip, another staff member who knows the students will go on the trip and the sub will cover for them.

otterpop likes this.
  2. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 4, 2018

I've subbed many times on field trips. One particular first grade teacher had a bad hip and couldn't do prolonged walking/standing so I always took her place on field trips. I don't remember having any issues with names so I'm guessing I had already subbed in the classroom multiple times and knew most of the kids. I enjoyed it. Except for crossing the streets, they were easy days.

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

May 4, 2018

One time I had a field trip with 5 other teachers. I was incredibly ill the day of the field trip. There was no reasonable way I could go. My VP made sure we had a very experienced sub on short notice to take my class. It ended up going well. I was so glad the students were not going to miss out on the field trip they so looked forward to attending.

Subbing alone on a field trip would be a bit weird, but I would do it. Field trips at most schools are few, and I wouldn't want the students to miss out.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 4, 2018

I don't even like taking my own kids on field trips, and I know them. I can't imagine taking a group I don't know on a field trip.

Master Pre-K, bella84 and otterpop like this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 4, 2018

Same! I like the idea of field trips, and think they present great learning opportunities, but as a teacher I dislike actually leading them. There are so many unpredictable situations that can happen.

bella84 likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

May 9, 2018

I think that's really crummy of a teacher to call out on the day of a field trip. I would not want my class with a sub in that situation. Too many things could happen and it's not fair to put a sub in that position.

7. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

May 9, 2018

I agree, but I also think that sometimes things happen, and the field trip is not always the priority. Think death in the family, serious illness of self of family member, car accident, etc. In those cases, I don’t think it’s wrong for a teacher to get a sub and let the school and students deal. Teachers often give too much of ourselves, and I’m of the opinion that sometimes it’s okay to put ourselves first.

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

May 9, 2018

I'll speak as a sub who has gone on MANY field trips with various groups of students, including "those'' students that we're all concerned about. It's really not that bad. And I don't think it's fair to demonize the teacher who leaves the kids with a sub on field trip day. If you --as the teacher -- have great management and lay down expectations for field trip behavior -- regardless of whether or not there's a sub-- the kids will be fine. I think it's also insulting because it sort of undermines the subs. I'm sure there are some who can't really handle the kids on a field trip, but they also have problems in the classroom too. But I would say many of us are quite competent and capable of wrangling the kids while off- campus. Many subs are former teachers.

:)

9. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

May 9, 2018

I have went on many field trips as a sub.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 12, 2018

The biggest fear is losing a kid. The trouble makers and defiant ones will typically make your field trip a flashback of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The parents show out worse than the kids. They dip off smoking, on their phones, ignoring their own kid and the three they’re supposed to be watching.

You have parents who will buy the building if they can.

“Wonka, how much for one of those Loompa Oompas?”