Field trip and subbing.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hokiegrad1993, May 3, 2018.

1. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

May 3, 2018

Do you think it is normal or okay that a sub goes on a field trip instead of the teacher.

I am subbing first grade today and found out last night I am going on a field trip to a farm. I think it will be fun but nervous as I do not know the class yet. I think it would be better if the kids were older or in a more controlled area but I hope it goes well!

My guess something came up that was significant with the teacher that she couldn't be there.

3. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

May 3, 2018

I bet it'll be fine as you won't be alone. But, yea, I don't think any teacher calls in for a sub on a field trip day unless they have no other choice.

bella84, Caesar753 and Leaborb192 like this.
  4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 3, 2018

I've been on SO MANY field trips as a sub and some have been surprising in that I show up and look at the plans and they say "Oh hey, you'll be going to a play in the afternoon.'' Some are attached to Aesop saying "You'll be going to Canada with the 7th and 8th graders'' and I'm like "Nope.''
    It's not like you're ALONE on the trip with the kids. There's the team of teachers and their kids plus chaperones, right? You have support so don't feel bad. Just don't lose any kids... that's your main job while subbing on a field trip. I had mine, sixth graders included, use the buddy system when we were off campus. CYA.
    Have fun and I suspect that since the end of the year is near that there will be a lot of these types of trips and activities popping up!

:D

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.
  5. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

May 3, 2018

[​IMG]

;)
    Basically this for classes you don't know well. I can't think of any field trips I've been on as a sub, though I went on one as an intern teacher with a class I didn't know (I don't remember my supervisor being pleased, but I had fun!). Usually if I subbed and the class I was in for had a field trip, I'd end up covering another class and THAT teacher would go on the field trip instead.

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 3, 2018

The teacher who calls out on a field trip day has the balls of steel.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 3, 2018

Lame! If I'm scheduled to go on a field trip, I'd much rather go on the field trip. I mean you DO have support from other teachers, who of course will be overly supportive knowing that you're a sub especially if you have a "tough'' group.
    :)

8. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 3, 2018

Not sure I would be happy about going. taking kids out of school is a big responsibility. I would like to know much more about the kids before doing it. Their names for a start. their behaviour eg which ones will do as they are told and which will need extra close supervision. Which ones may have medical or social issues.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

May 3, 2018

I would too, but it's also WAY too easy to lose kids you don't know. My mom refuses to help chaperone my students on field trips now because she came with my student teaching class and one of my sped kids wandered off about 10 minutes after we got there. Thankfully he found me and I was like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!?! The rule is to STAY. WITH. YOUR. ADULT."

Leaborb192 likes this.
  10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 3, 2018

I've talked with one on one paras who "lost their kids'' on the playground. I'm like HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN? I mean I know how it happens: they're really not paying attention to the kids and are chit - chatting / on their phones. But yeah I can understand how stressful it is. But travelling with children is stressful in any situation. I've been both a teacher and I am now in my second year subbing so I've been on plenty of field trips to know what I need to do.
    [​IMG]

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 3, 2018

It happens. Teachers can’t control when they get really sick or have a family emergency. Will the students at least be wearing school shirts so you know which ones are yours? Also - definitely use the buddy system! Typically I find my students are better behaved on trips because they’re in a new, engaging environment.

Have fun and make sure everyone gets back to the school with you!

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 3, 2018

As long as you have the same number of kids when you get back as you had when you left you will be OK. Whether they are still the same kids may be problematic.:D

13. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 3, 2018

The field trip would be much more enjoyable for all concerned if you were to take the lead and implement some strict guidelines for the kids to follow. That would be up to you. A clever way of getting a class of young children to stay in line is with the use of a rope (e.g. a thin clothesline). Have the kids walk in pairs, one buddy on each side of the rope, while grasping the rope. The rope serves to keep the entire class in line regardless of whether they are on crowded city streets, in a a museum or visiting a farm. If possible, practice using the rope with the class at school before departing on the field trip. Don't knock it until you try it - much preferred over mass chaos and confusion. Bright yellow name tags pinned (safety pins) to each child would also help with quick identification - can also number them if you like. I would even arrange everyone on the rope according to my list of students so I would know who's missing at any given moment, but that's just me. Depending on how rowdy the class is, you might decide to assign students to specific places on the rope (e.g. boys in front followed by the girls, disobedient ones separated from each).

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 3, 2018

Or got hurt, sick...

I covered for Christmas play....

My teacher had a broken leg.
    That’s was a bonus of extra $75 because it was after hours.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 3, 2018

I wouldn’t do it. Don’t like dealing with unknown in unchartered waters. But that’s me. Only if I subbed for that class or school before.

I took a call for library. Sounded simple enough. Well, I didn’t know that the librarian was the tech teacher AND they had a lab full of Apple computers - Macs. Never used one for more than 20 minutes. :eek:

Well fortunately for me, my first class was a 3rd gr class I had before! Great kids! I liked the school. So I simply asked a few kids to help me get me started!!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  16. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

May 3, 2018

It ended up going great! Had all angel children. The farm was organized chaos. Two classes were on playground while other two fed animals. Lunch and then a switch. Only problem was it was hot so kids got tired quickly.

Leaborb192 and CherryOak like this.
  17. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

May 3, 2018

Plus I got to feed a llama! LOL

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 3, 2018

Llama llama had no drama?

I always bring a snack and water & emergency kit. School buses are nortorious for breaking down.o_O

19. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 3, 2018

I sent a sub on a field trip once... I woke up vomiting at 2:00 a.m. and didn't feel that I had any choice but to stay home. Luckily, I got one of our retired teachers who was supposed to sub for a colleague in another classroom that day. They switched her to take my place and sent the random, last-minute sub to the other classroom.

I don't think it's weird for a sub to go a field trip, but I do agree that it will probably only happen if the teacher had a last minute illness/emergency or some other serious circumstance that prevents them from going themselves.

20. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

May 3, 2018

I found out that the teacher was at a conference and a sub that always subs at the school got sick so they had to find a last minute sub.

21. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 4, 2018

Yes! Unless there was an actual emergency, I can't imagine doing that. And in the case of an emergency, it seems like someone from the school should take the class instead (counselor, PE teacher, vice principal, etc.).