Fiefs, Fighting, and Feudalism, Oh my! Looking for new ideas . . .

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ancientcivteach, Feb 16, 2008.

1. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Feb 16, 2008

Hi all!
    I'm working on planning my medieval Europe unit, arguably my favorite unit of the school year. I'm looking for some fresh ideas though - particulary in teaching feudalism and manorialism. Currently, I use the Feudal M & Ms simulation along with several different readings and role play, and for manorialism notes, lots of pictures, and then the kids create their own manors. Anybody? :confused:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2008

"Feudal M & Ms simulation"? Do tell, ancientciv...

4. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Feb 16, 2008

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 16, 2008

We do a Fedualism Simulation, if you want I can scan the handouts and email them to you. The activity is for a 9th grade class, but they could easily be modified for grade 6.

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2008

One year I had kids write a journal as someone in the middle ages, doing a middle ages job, in the middle of a major middle ages historical event. They worked in groups so their group members had to interact in the journal. The kids really enjoyed it

7. MsMongoose

MsMongoose Companion

Feb 23, 2008

Make a paper model of a castle (available from the web) and have the students name the parts and their purposes--tower, portcullis, crenellations. Then have the kids discuss the castle holding a tournament for other nobles, with flags, banners, horses, where and what they would cook, seating in the great hall, etc.

After that , you could discuss what the castle would do when an attack/siege threatened. What food would they try to store, and where? Have they already laid in supplies for such an possibility? Where is the well? What would the attackers try to do? What could they do to thwart various lines of attack?

8. caks412

caks412 New Member

Jan 6, 2009

I would appreciate a copy of your simulation emailed to caks412@msn.com

Thanks Chris

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2009

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 6, 2009

That's a grand simulation, Mrs. K.!

11. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 6, 2009

If you want, I can send you an episode of "Barbarian's Lair," an awesome Cities of the Underworld documentary of castles, the Knights Templar, and the vicious barbarism that plagued Europe after the fall of Rome. It's awesome, is fast-paced and holds the students' attention. PM me your address if you want it!

12. angelmarjorie

angelmarjorie New Member

Oct 5, 2010

could u send me...

....that video!!??! thanks!

13. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2010

There is an incredible Feudalism simulation in TCI's History Alive that is well worth tracking down. Far more fun and in-depth than Feudal M & Ms. Each student has their own role to play like in many sims but this one really, really fits each class well.

Even the serfs who spend the period holding onto a desk leg and coloring tiny little bits of grain end up loving the lesson.

My student teacher also put together a few great Culture Shock activities this year like pulling the skin off of green beans and building a card house to simulate the drudgery of medieval life. I can get you more on that if you'd like.

And finally, if you are heading that way, we've put together a simulated pilgrimage for the Crusades that seems to be going well. I'm leading mine today and I'm quite excited.

14. Ms.History

Ms.History Rookie

Oct 6, 2010

RockyGuyKev -
    Do you know if it's available online? Or did you have to buy the History Alive book?

15. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2010

I don't know of it being available online but I'd imagine you can track someone down who has it.

16. calislug

calislug New Member

Jan 6, 2011

Brendan,

I would love to get a copy of your classroom simulation as I am in the process of planning one myself. As a new member I can not message you. Please send me the information if possible! Thanks!

17. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jan 6, 2011

Brendan I would love an email on that too. PM me if you get a chance.

RockGuy, I would love to get details from you as well.

18. calislug

calislug New Member

Jan 6, 2011

RockGuyKev- I would love to get a copy of the program you are talking about too! I tried to find it online and was unable. Hope your pilgrimage for the Crusades went well!

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2011

I still have "The Newlywed Peasant Woman's Guide to Hut-Keeping" that I wrote after our 8th grade feudalism unit... :)

20. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2011

When I get back to school Monday I'll see if I can get the file. We recently updated the TCI version to make it more our own and a little easier to follow.

The pilgrimage was fantastic! Next year we plan on extending it into a two day activity because it went so well.

21. ROE_Wedge

ROE_Wedge Rookie

Jan 17, 2011

Perhaps concentrate on the prevalent philosophical ideas of that time and have the students reflect upon their own current time and form a comparison?