Fidgets… why?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RussianBlueMommy, May 26, 2017.

1. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Companion

May 26, 2017

So fidgets. I only have to ask "WHY?" First it was Pokemon Go... before that it was water bottle flipping... I know the fidgets have been banned in most of the classes on canpus except for the sped rooms... Have fidgets permeated to your areas yet?

3. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

May 26, 2017

Oh yeah, they've invaded our high school big time. Bottle-flipping is still somewhat popular too, though not as much. I crawl my students' butts over either one. Flip a water bottle in my class and you get one warning and then I'm throwing it in the garbage (whine all you want, young'un, I'm done!) If I hear a spinner (either where it's spinning on a table top or hitting the floor because whatever genius that's playing with it got overzealous), I promptly address the disruption and promise that if the thing causes another distraction it will be confiscated. My rule is, as long as they aren't disrupting the learning environment, I'm fine with it. If I have to stop teaching, the student with the spinner isn't paying attention, or the spinner is distracting others in the class from learning, I address the situation just as I would any other disruptive behavior. I have zero tolerance for disrupting teaching and learning.

4. greendream

greendream Cohort

May 26, 2017

My question would be, why is our automatic response to such things to ban them?

teacherintexas and mathmagic like this.
  5. carolinafan

carolinafan Rookie

May 26, 2017

I don't know if it's an automatic response, but I have to agree with GPC, if it's causing a disruption because students are paying more attention to them than to the assignment, then they're a problem and should be treated as such. Spinners at my school have only recently been deemed a nuisance item, and so far they haven't been a major problem in my class. I know other teachers at my school have started confiscating them though.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 26, 2017

I actually don't understand how fidget spinners are helpful to kids. Someone please educate me.

7. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

May 26, 2017

For my students (who are all on the autism spectrum) it helps them not pick at their fingers. That's the only use I see.

8. carolinafan

carolinafan Rookie

May 26, 2017

I use a fidget cube, because I fidget with my fingers a lot. It helps me have something else to do with my hands. I think the spinners have the same concept. It's supposed to give kids something to focus on instead of being all distracted. The problem comes when they get distracted by the spinners themselves.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 26, 2017

I hear the fidget spinners are not that helpful. They're really just toys. But whatever. I don't care as long as it doesn't disrupt the lesson and they are staying focused. I've actually been impressed with a few who made their own spinners using old skateboard bearings, and either home-made materials, or machined one in the machine shop. I have to say they really are kind of addicting to play with, and if I confiscate one, I'm usually playing with it the rest of the period.

My students use fidget spinners, they still bottle flip (though rarely, because I will grab it and toss it in the trash if they do it -- this one really just peeves me), and they still "dab". No one plays Pokemon Go anymore though, with the exception of a 60 year old teacher in my department who is at a surprisingly high level on it. LOL!

10. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

May 26, 2017

There's always something. Even when I was a kid, I'm sure (I can't remember perfectly...ha) there were some toys or some little bits that were something that they liked fiddling with. Really, if the classroom culture is such that they understand what's appropriate and what isn't, and if it becomes an issue, it's handled well...how does it affect the class at all but in a positive fashion? It's a perfect opportunity for them to learn appropriate fidgeting, while also connecting better with the students and the "latest trend". I'm sure a year from now, it'll be out, and you'll see them much less, but they'll understand the proper and improper use of related ideas better.

There's plenty of things that us adults don't "need" during various events (coffee, place to doodle on paper, twiddling a pencil around, to name just a few), but we still have or do anyways...but in such a way that it isn't disrespectful or distracting.

a2z and greendream like this.
  11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

May 26, 2017

Ours wasn't automatic. At recess, kids started punching each other over disputes of whose spinner was cooler, stealing each other's spinners, and throwing them at each other. That's ridiculous.

We don't have a single student who has a fidget requirement on an IEP, so we aren't out of compliance from banning them.

12. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Companion

Jun 8, 2017

This is a cool video. A psychologist debunks the usefullness of them for ADHD...

anon55 and AnonyMS like this.
  13. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Jun 8, 2017

My cube has actually helped me, but I've never used it in class (I'm still in college.)

I haven't been able to sit and watch a TV show or a movie at home without feeling a compulsive need to check my phone a bunch, even if nothing's going on with it. It felt weird only focusing on one thing, or not doing anything with my hands. But I got one of those cubes and have been able to sit and watch an entire show without feeling the need to check Facebook. So apparently they CAN be helpful to people.

In my practicums, I've greatly preferred when students had the cubes as opposed to the spinners. The cubes are quiet, and their shape doesn't beg to be thrown like a ninja star.

14. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2017

Well, less debunks the usefulness, and more is just saying that there's no evidence yet, and that it'd just be one piece in a bigger puzzle.

a2z likes this.
  15. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Jun 8, 2017

Because they are a distraction in the classroom!

16. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Jun 8, 2017

I saw a preschooler with a fidget spinner today. They are everywhere!

17. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Jun 9, 2017

I will say -- and this is TOTALLY anecdotal so take it for what it's worth-- I HAVE seen them used effectively for students. I wanted the 5th graders to silently read for about 15 minutes (on a timer) and they asked if they could use their fidget spinners. I know those kids so I let them. They were A) reading and B) spinning the spinners without creating a spectacle. It was like a miracle. I didn't hear a peep from ANY of them! I thought I was dreaming. :rofl:I was also working in a 3rd grade room with some VERY active and ''busy'' children whom I allowed to use if they could show me that they could work and be productive. They did for a brief period of time. I think the spinners, like everything else, needs to be explicitly taught and have expectations attached to them. Because I do believe that there *are* children who benefit from their use.

:)

a2z likes this.
  18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Jun 9, 2017

I used fidgets (not spinners, but other fidget tools) in my classroom long before this fad. I reserved them for students who needed to fidget to focus. One student, in particular, really benefited from them and could actually sit through an assembly as long as he had one in his hands. I explicitly taught him how to manage a fidget and took them away when he could not. But it didn't take much teaching, because he quickly saw how successful he could be when he used one.

Right now they are a toy and a fad. They will be replaced by something else by September when we go back to school.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2017

I'm down here in mexico and YES!!!!!!!!!!! It's all the rage. They are not allowed in the classroom. If a student makes the mistake of bringing one inside the classroom, I confiscate it until Friday.

20. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2017

Off-topic slightly, but speaking of fads, I finally had my first "bottle flip" today. Surprised it didn't happen sooner! :p

21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 9, 2017

Fidgets that make noise utterly defeat the purpose of a fidget.

2ndTimeAround likes this.