Fidget Spinners

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, May 19, 2017.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 19, 2017

Do students are your school use fidget spinners? Around here, it seems like kids (especially boys) 3rd grade and above are obsessed with them! I personally think they are a distraction. What do you think of them?

anon55 likes this.
  3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 19, 2017

I think they are helpful for the ones who truly need them. That said, almost all my kids have them, and I have quite the collection sitting on my desk until the last day of school because I am tired of them being toys for all the ones that don't actually need them. They are more of a distraction than anything.

Luv2TeachInTX likes this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 19, 2017

I think they're awful. Actually, I have been using fidgets in my classroom since before they were "cool". :cool: Fidget seems to be a buzzword these days. But in my opinion, the fidget spinners are nothing but toys that are harder to ban because parents think they're helpful and that teachers who don't like them are just not accepting. There are so many better, quieter, more useful, less distracting fidgets out there.

5. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 19, 2017

I have built quite a collection too. Probably should re-sell them to make a little money on the side for my troubles :) My issue with them is that when it spins, it makes a noise that students cant ignore. I personally dont think a spinner is a good fidget toy for any student who needs one.Something more tactile (and quiet) like a stress ball or lump of plasticine is more effective.

6. Kat.

Kat. Companion

May 20, 2017

I can't stand them. I think only students who are diagnosed with something should be allowed to have them in class.

It was crazy. Last Thursday it seemed no one had them. Then Friday BOOM everyone did.

Flexible seating > spinners.

7. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

May 20, 2017

They remind me of the miniature skateboards kids had to have years ago.

If it's a toy, put it away before I take it. If it keeps a troubled child from destroying my lessons, all is good.

otterpop and Leaborb192 like this.
  8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 20, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

May 20, 2017

The problem as you stated are they obsessed with them. We have had to take away our share of them that are used in class in 3rd and 4th grade. While in theory, they could be positive for some. In reality, they are distracting toys. I am glad this is happening at the end of the year. My guess is that there will be more school rules about them for next year.

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 20, 2017

That's the thing though, they're just toys, but because they've been branded as "helpful", they're harder to get rid of! They're right on par with snap bracelets, yoyos, Tamagotchi pets, the kentama ball toys they had last year, and Pokemon cards. They're a fad. Whoever first said "these are great for kids who need to focus!" and started to brand them as an ADHD fix is a marketing genius.

11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 20, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    otterpop likes this.
  12. laoshijiejie

laoshijiejie Rookie

May 20, 2017

They are so annoying and kids who don't need them are the ones getting them. My middle school brother just told me he ordered one. I asked why, since he doesn't need help focusing. He replied "What are you talking about?! It's just a toy." :rolleyes:

Backroads likes this.
  13. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 20, 2017

They are a toy. I have no issue with them, my students know to keep them away during learning.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 20, 2017

Try having a class where half are ADD and then realize that the students are being given the spinners by the workers in the residential living facilities, where they are just trying to keep everyone busy, not just the ADD students, and you see where toys become a problem in the classroom. Not one of my students was given this "aid" by their school therapist, or written into an IEP. Instead, aides in the living units gave them across the board as gifts. Some were lost, others were stolen, and now some students (without cause) have them while others don't. That is a recipe for distraction to the highest power. Here's the kicker - I can't even take them away from my students since residence staff gave them to the students. I hope they all disappear over the summer!

Backroads likes this.
  15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 20, 2017

I have yet to see a student be able to fidget with one that allows them to focus on the task at hand.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 20, 2017

Bingo! That is the problem.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 20, 2017

I've banned them from my classroom. The kids that legitimately need a fidget weren't the ones using it; they were being used by the kids that can focus perfectly fine but like having spinning competitions with other kids. It ended up being a school-wide ban anyway, for any student without an educational plan calling for a fidget. One of my boys with an IEP tried to tell me it was written into his plan. Him and I had a very interesting discussion on that point.

Backroads and otterpop like this.
  18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 20, 2017

And call me crazy, but my general philosophy is that any fidget that makes noise is likely to be completely useless as a fidget.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 21, 2017

My school has declared them to be nuisance items. Teachers have been directed to confiscate them whenever they see them. I assume that any kid who has the use of a fidget spinner written into their IEP would be allowed to keep it.

Backroads likes this.
  20. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 21, 2017

I think the makers hit gold when they marketed them as a focus-allowing fidget.

I have three kids who have express permission to have them. One no longer uses it because his fidgeting was too much for the spinner. It sits upon my desk waiting for him to realize he wants it back.

21. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 22, 2017

So today a kid brought no less than 3 fidget spinners. He is not approved to have them because they have not worked as a fidget for him. I wound up taking them away.

The kid later in the day colored on the carpet and pocketed a bunch of my personal books in his backpack. When I told Dad at pick-up, Dad blamed me for taking away the #@*! fidget spinners.