Feels like my final 2 months at this school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Mar 27, 2017

Based on my early warning from the P, it looks like my final 2 months at this school. I don't think git matters how I perform. I think as long as I show up, I'll get my letter of recommendation and I'll be on my way. I believe I will be given the option to resign instead of being non-renewed. I don't think I'll be asked back for next year and they'll find a new teacher to replace me OR consolidate. Either way, I'm not getting those "you've been rehired" vibes.

How does one handle the rest of the year knowing you're not returning?

3. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Companion

Mar 28, 2017

It may not matter how you perform for your principal, but it should matter how you perform for own own sense of pride and self-worth.

Don't let them define you.

4. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Mar 28, 2017

I agree with Amy. Your performance should always be based on your own standards, not the expectations of your administration or possible loss of job. If I were to find out today that I wouldn't be back next year, not a thing would change in my classroom.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2017

Agreed with the above posters. Really, it's a great opportunity to capture moments that you can mention in future interviews or cover letters: how are you impacting kids? How are you developing as a teacher? Just keep going about the year the same (perhaps with the exception of taking on extra school-related activities that repeat each year), and use those amazing moments to your benefit moving forward.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Mar 28, 2017

I always told myself: "I will be their only 2nd grade teacher. No one can ever take that away from me. This will be the best year ever for my kids!"

Linguist92021 and mathmagic like this.
  7. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Mar 28, 2017

First of all, if you don't think they're having you back, I would send a letter of resignation now, effective the end of the school year, BEFORE they non-renew you. That way you can truthfully apply to other jobs without saying you were ever non-renewed.

Then start looking for other jobs.

Just tell everyone it wasn't a good fit.

And then, as the others have said, make sure you and your students have the best end of the year possible. Give your students the best education possible. Try to collect some good work samples and document good projects to add to your portfolio. First document everything for your students now--put things up all over the bulletin boards, highlight projects on your website for parents, etc., so that it feels like a good culmination to the year for the students you have now--but also photograph and copy all that stuff so you can use it going forward.

I wasn't renewed my first year and it was pretty painful in some ways...but in other ways, we just went along as usual at school. Lots of people knew I was't being asked back and they were very kind about it. And then I had a much better experience the next year. I did get hired although not until August. Good Luck!

8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Mar 29, 2017

The P said that, if a non-renewal were heading my way, he would give me the option to resign when that happens. As far as the applying for other jobs, I've already been non-renewed once so that's in my application. I just get the feeling that the P is strongly encouraging me to look elsewhere because of declining enrollment and also being a non-tenured teacher so I'd be a candidate on the chopping block. However, it doesn't escape me that I haven't had a strong teaching year as well. He could be letting me go because of performance but instead of saying that, he'll say it's because of other stuff. Does that make sense or am I assuming things?

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

Mar 29, 2017

I think that your assumption that you will receive a glowing LOR despite just showing up is faulty. Don't forget that most future employers will check in with your former employers, giving them a second chance to share information that may not be on the LOR. You would do yourself a favor by working to your true potential through the rest of the school year.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 29, 2017

I would find out, before resigning or doing ANYTHING, if you are being non-renewed or if the school is eliminating your position due to a RIF (reduction in force).

11. MrFrank35

MrFrank35 Rookie

Mar 29, 2017

For myself and the good of my students I would finish the year strong. I also agree that I would try to get some more info before resigning.

12. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Apr 4, 2017

UPDATE: I asked the P a point blank question.

"Am I in danger of losing my job due to performance?"

He answered, "No."

So that takes care of that part....

The next part is more intriguing. He and I talked for a while about how far a commute I have AND that he's had to hire 3 upper-level math teachers in 4 years so he's seeking stability in the position by looking for someone who would stay long-term and not the 1 or 2 years that previous math teachers have been doing. He knows that I am actively searching for a job closer to home and would help me in whatever way possible to help me land one.

Now here is where things get dicey. He wants to hire someone long-term but cannot officially look to hire a replacement since there is no position open. He said that I could submit my resignation on the condition that I search hard for a new job AND that he can look for a more permanent and long-term replacement and gathering resumes and conducting interviews. He said that if he cannot find someone suitable (i.e., a strong well-qualified and local candidate for the long haul) AND I cannot find a job from now to the end of summer, he would hire me back. At that point, I would be safe for only 1 year since the job cuts would come after. He said that chances are I will be able to find a new job BEFORE he can find someone suitable. He doesn't want to fill the position with a fresh-faced college graduate or someone looking for a 1-2 year commitment.

A wrench in the aforementioned situation concerns someone who is now teaching the middle school grades. If she agrees to move to the HS and can pass the Praxis exam for HS math, then the P will have found someone as his permanent replacement. So it boils down to these scenarios and they all involve my submitting my resignation:

1.) MS math teacher passes exam and moves into the HS math position. (I'm not hired back.)
    2.) MS math teacher declines to take exam, I cannot find a job AND the P cannot find a long-term replacement. (I'm re-hired for one more year)
    3.) I find a new job. (P hires someone short-term)

Now that I've explained it, what does everyone think?

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2017

I think that you should not count on having a job at this school.

14. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Apr 4, 2017

Do you suspect he's trying to convince me to resign? And all that talk about hiring me back is just bluster?

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2017

I just think that if he really wanted you to stay, you'd be staying. Why go to all the trouble of looking for yet another teacher when there is a teacher right there in that classroom? It's not up to him to decide what is and is not an acceptable commute for you. It's getting so complicated and convoluted and it doesn't need to be. He has the power to keep you on, full stop. He's giving you the runaround.

16. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Apr 4, 2017

So would it just be better for me to resign? He even said I could explain away a resignation (the commute was too long, I was looking for a position closer to home, etc....) better than a non-renewal after only one year of teaching because the non-renewal would look fishy.

17. greendream

greendream Cohort

Apr 4, 2017

I wouldn't resign until I had another job offer.

Caesar753 likes this.
  18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 4, 2017

Agreed. Don't resign. If you are RIF'd, meaning laid off, and you are still trying to find work in the fall, you can apply for unemployment. If you resign that's out the window.

19. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Apr 4, 2017

There is a chance he might non-renew me though. I really don't want that.

20. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2017

He seems to be trying hard to get you to resign. Just my opinion.

21. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Apr 4, 2017

Besides saving money on unemployment benefits, why would a P push someone this way?