Feeling lost... Ready to leave this profession, but what's next?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by givemeten, Jan 10, 2016.

1. givemeten

givemeten New Member

Jan 10, 2016

I am a male primary teacher in Canada. This is my eighth year of teaching, six of which were in special education and two in Grade 1. I am so ready to leave teaching, to be honest, and have been thinking about it for the last several years.

I feel so drained mentally and physically every day, and am at the point where I am dragging myself to work every morning. I have no energy to do anything after work or on weekends, and spend my entire weekend recovering from extreme fatigue and prepping for the upcoming week. I am hating the fact that I always need to take work home, and am never able to enjoy after work hours or weekends without thinking about or dealing with work related stuff. I have seen doctors, and all the test results come back OK. However, they notice that I am under a lot of stress, and have suggested to consider leaving this profession as my stress level being so high.

I am not good with playing games or dealing with politics, unfortunately. I had a horrible work environment where an admin and co-workers basically "bullied" me for the entire year in the past. I am now transferred to another school, but am just overwhelmed with student's behaviours. It is exhausting. There is no such place as a perfect workplace, and I am well aware of that. Regardless of which school or which class I teach, I am sure that there is something which probably bugs me. Everybody deals with these challenges in life, but I am just fed up. I know this shows me how weak (or even perhaps immature) I am, but am just at the wits' end now.

Fortunately, Canadian teachers make much better money and have great pension plans and benefits than the US teachers. That makes me think a lot. (I am not doing this job purely for money at all, but one major thing holding onto this job at this point is money and pensions for the last few years.) I do not have any family members to depend on. I do not need as much money as I am making now, but am really worried about my future (retirement) if I quit this job.

I do not feel like I am being able to show and do the best job I can do, and feel awful about it. I did care a lot more about my job, and was always thinking about how I would be able to support each child's learning. I still do think about such when planning, and feel so burnt out. I do not think my students are benefiting from me, as I am so drained and not as passionate or caring as before, perhaps. I am thinking that they should have another teacher who can care for them better pretty constantly.

I am ready to leave, but do not know what I can do with my background. I have a BA, BEd, and MA in Education. I have spent a lot of time and money on PD, but also do not feel like I have expertise in a certain area, so consulting or any teaching related job seems to be out of the window. I am not thinking of pursuing a PhD and becoming a professor or researcher either. How can one who leaves teaching look for a job? (All my work experience is in teaching, so my resume is well catered for teaching jobs, but nothing else.)

I am feeling so lost... I cannot continue like this for the next 20 years or more, but also do not know what to do next.

oliviablond and darkside01 like this.
  3. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Jan 10, 2016

I feel the same way for many of the same reasons you listed. IDK, either. Leaving my area isn't possible due to DH's job, and there aren't many job opportunities that I think I'd like any better than teaching. I love teaching but hate what education is now. I'm trying to force myself to take the good with the bad and put a smile on my face, but it's getting harder and harder.

Sorry, no advice. Just letting you know you're not alone in your feelings.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 10, 2016

Always keep in the back of your minds that life is short. It's better to stop doing something you hate/dread & be happy rather than stay in it & go through the motions, etc. Money isn't everything either as we know.

5. givemeten

givemeten New Member

Jan 12, 2016

Thank you for your response, TXforever. At least you feel like there aren't many job opportunities that you think you would like any better than teaching. I am not even feeling that way. Probably I will miss teaching a bit, but there are other job opportunities I am interested in. However, because of my experience and education have been spent in the field of elementary education, it does not open many doors, unfortunately. I will try to continue forcing myself to take the good with the bad, but think I am very close to the point where that is even too challenging to do.

6. givemeten

givemeten New Member

Jan 12, 2016

Thank you for your comment, Ms. I. I completely agree that money isn't everything, but it scares me to get out of teaching as well because of money as well. I am just so torn... However, I know it is never good to feel like this, as miserable and exhausted all the time.

7. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jan 20, 2016

Can you contact Career Services where you got one of your degrees and see if they have someone to help guide you or give you advice? I don't know what your major was with your BA and the Bed is a bachelor in education? But I think you need to look at how you can translate your skills as a teacher into other jobs and look into what jobs outside education appeal to you and why. Hope this helps some. You aren't alone. I feel the same and in the process of figuring out my next steps too.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2016

I switched schools and positions when I started to feel like I was burning out. Although my new school isn't perfect, it feels so much better than where I was at before. Seriously, it's like night and day. I feel valued and empowered here, which is a nice change.

Are you certain that a change of scenery wouldn't fix your problems?

pinkcupcake90 likes this.
  9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2016

Where are you in Canada? The past several years have been a challenge in many areas with ugly contract negotiations and job action seeming the norm rather than the exception. The workload and pressures are increasing in many school boards. I know that in my board, Special Ed and the early primary teachers seem to be most impacted by some of the initiatives that are constantly being introduced. Are you in a large enough board that a transfer could be an option? Another environment or teaching assignment could help.

(I'm in Southern Ontario--feel free to PM me)

10. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2016

Since you don't have so many years toward your retirement, get out while you're young enough to build your retirement somewhere else. I have only 6 years to go, or I might get out, too. I love teaching, but not what the profession has become because of state and federal mandates.