Feeling a bit guilty... but...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Learner4Life, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 25, 2012

I have never wanted a student out of my class so badly in my life. I've had him 2 years now because his dad decided to hold him back a year against the advice of the school. He throws tantrums, is suicidal, leaves the classroom without telling anyone, slams doors, throws things, cries, screams, wails... oh the list could go on.
    The other day, he got upset (which is a daily occurrence) and started pounding his fists on his head and when I gently held his hands to try and get him to stop, he hit his head on his knees. Thankfully, another teacher was in the room and could take control of the class but I can't imagine what I would have done if I was alone (I do have an aide but sadly, I don't trust her with the class or alone with a student)

I'm irritated because even when this child IS behaving and doing what the rest of the class is doing and acting "normal," I'm on edge. I am only putting half of the effort on my teaching as I feel I should be because part of me is always watching out for this kid!
    I have a HUGE class this year (29) and I want to do them justice as well as this child. He has an IEP for Social Emotional, he goes to a counseling team (3 one hour sessions a week), and I have a pretty supportive Sped team to help me out but in all honesty, I just want him gone!
    I don't know what to do... any advice? Maybe this was just a vent... :(

3. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Sep 25, 2012

We have a student like this at my school, and I was told stories of him causing problems like you are describing. Thankfully, I haven't experienced anything like that in my class with him yet. Knowing what I did, I have worked really hard at being extra sweet with him, smiling, and reassuring him if he seems to be become stressed. What exactly are his triggers? I know for my guy he does not like having high stress games or confusing situations without knowing a little bit of what's going on beforehand. So I always "let him in" on what we're doing for the day while the class is doing their warm-ups. He likes it, because I think it makes him feel special in a good way like he knows something secret. He also does not like group work, so I give him the option to work with a group if he feels up to it or to do the work individually.

I don't know if any of that would help,because it is specific to my guy. However he sounds fairly similar in the tantrum descriptions.

4. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 25, 2012

Is there a SPED room he could go to when he acts out? Is there any way you could get different aide in your room? Anyway, I hope it gets better for you :)

Hugs :hugs: