FB frustration

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Sep 17, 2012.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2012

So I'm something of an FB newbie...I don't have a lot of FB 'frends'...it's more of a way to share photos, thoughts, links with family and 'real friends' with whom I'd share that stuff anyway. I have a few 'FB friends' who are somewhat tangential or friends for convenience (like a few high school classmates so I can stay in touch for reunions, etc) So I've posted a few 'patriotic' type political things because I like them and just this weekend a video shared here on the forums of a rap in support of the Chicago strike. So a few of my 'friends' have posted comments that are annoying, anti teacher or inflammatory. I didn't post to start arguments...just posted because I support certain ideas....what do you do in these cases? Delete the comments? Unfriend?

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2012

Tough call. If it becomes too annoying, delete them if you don't mind what repercussions that might cause. I would be really annoyed too.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2012

Delete the comments. I don't ever post anything political or controversial on facebook, and I tend to just ignore those type of posts by friends.

5. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2012

:agreed:

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2012

It can be quite hurtful.
    You can entirely delete these friends or hide them.
    If you hide them, you won't see their posts.
    You would do this if you do not want the person to know you deleted them.

I once deleted a 'friend' who then posted it on FB!
    I did explain my reason was because of my profession and her choice of words. But even that stirred the pot for her and a few others. So now I just hide friends when need be.

I stay away from posting anything that shows an opinion.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2012

I usually delete the comments. If it's a repeat offender, I remind them that this is my page and I'm allowed to post what I like. They are free to make their own comments on their own page.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2012

Trust me, compared to many FB pages, mine is incredibly tame. Not much controversial...shoes, family pics, American flags...:dizzy: the Chicago teacher rap was the most 'controversial' but as I said, my 'friend' list is limited to mostly people I know well...they know I'm a teacher! I don't go on my friends' pages and criticize their political beliefs or profession...it's just so annoying.

I deleted the comments.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2012

I think people just get super annoying on Facebook. Because of the way it lets you sort of promote yourself and everything about you, people start to think that everyone else cares about them. :lol: I totally do that, but I do try to keep all my "Me" stuff contained to my page.

A couple of years ago I had a coworker (teacher) as a friend. I posted something teacher-y and he came onto my post and just started arguing and carrying on, talking about teachers riding the gravy train and all that. I asked, "Why do you hate teachers so much?" He got all huffy and offended and ended up unfriending me. I have to say that I wasn't too broken up about it.

10. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 17, 2012

I just deleted my first friend for FB comments. Teacher bashing was the end of it but there were so many more issues that made it so that I could not stand having her as a "friend" but it was one of those "I'll be FB friends with you because I knew you in HS and I feel bad because your brother died" friendships. lol

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2012

Obviously I don't do any teacher bashing, but I am pretty political on facebook and I welcome the conversation. I am sure a lot of my friends have me blocked. That's fine. But when someone else posts something, I comment on it if I have something to say. Hopefully I am not obnoxious about it, but if it bothers you, delete the person.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2012

I have deleted people, but usually just click "hide." You can PM them if you want to talk to them personally about how you feel, but I think it's hardly worth it because they might argue and make you feel even more upset. You can delete your whole post if you want to and just let it go at that.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2012

Been there.

I made a post recently pointing out that my status is for my updates, opinions, beliefs, statements, or whatever the case may be. Everyone has their own special little status text box where they can share their differing opinions if need be. I don't welcome debate on my Facebook page—it's just not the type of communication I want there. I will delete the comments even if I'm not necessarily annoyed or offended...I just want to keep things civil and calm. I have some family members who can be pretty "colorful", and I can't deal with their bickering back and forth on my page...which has happened.

I bet some people have hidden my updates as well... :)

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2012

I haven't hidden yours, JustMe!!

Czacza, I would just delete the comments. I'm sure they will get the point and if they continue, then just delete them as friends. Toxic people aren't worth it.

15. First School

First School Rookie

Sep 18, 2012

I also use to delete comments when someone comments like this. FB is your sharing place and you can share what you want. So delete those post and let them know that you are free to post anything on own FB wall.

16. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2012

Add them to your "restricted" list....this way they can not see anything you post unless it is public(has the little earth icon next to it)

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 18, 2012

I try really really hard to not post anything political on my page (especially since I am lone blue swimming in a sea of red out here), but as things heat up, it's getting harder and harder to resist!

I'd continue to delete and/or ignore. As we've learned here all too well, it's impossible to argue with someone who is POSITIVE you are wrong!! :lol:

18. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2012

You can make it so no one can comment on a picture, status, etc. Maybe try that with any future potentially controversial posts?

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 19, 2012

I have unfriended a few people including my brother because of their rants against the government or Church. Inflamatory comments and bashing are major pet peeves of mine. I have also posted comments in the vein of "This is my official warning that anyone who consistently posts things that are derrogatory, inflamatory, or hateful will be unfriended. You have the right to say what you like, but I have the right to not listen." Yes, I was that blunt about it. Some of my friends have been blocked so that none or very few of their posts pop up on my wall. I can always check in to see what they are up to, but I don't have their every comment/picture/link in front of me. I will probably unblock a couple people sometime around Thanksgiving. ;)

20. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 19, 2012

I think deleting comments might inflame them more.

Most people don't react well to their comments being removed. First I would talk to them and tell them that I don't appreciate their bashing, and if it continues, simply unfriend them. You don't need to be friends on Facebook with people that are causing you strife.