Favorite Review Games

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissCeliaB, May 14, 2019.

1. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 14, 2019

Hey! Each summer I work at an academic program for gifted youth. Among my many duties is training the college-aged staff. While the TAs will be working with a master teacher, there is a one-hour period each day when they lead class without the instructor. This time is called "study hall," and is intended to be a time to review content. During orientation, I try to model as many review games, both online and in person, as I can to give our TAs options to pull from. So, what are your go-to review games? What makes them great?

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 14, 2019

One that I like a lot is "connect 4" because it requires pretty much no prep. Draw a grid about 6x6 on the board. Put kids into teams. Give each team 5 post it notes. Each team has a different color. Ask team one a question, if they get it right, they put a post it on the board in any square. If they get it wrong, team two can try to answer. Starting with round two, a team with the correct answer can either put up a post it or move the post it from another team to a new spot. First team to get 4 pf their post its in a row wins. As long as you have a list of review questions/study guide already made, it's a no prep activity.

readingrules12 and MissCeliaB like this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 15, 2019

5. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 16, 2019

I love review game zone. I can set the questions for kids to review and they play a game while answering questions. They are all into it.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 16, 2019

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 16, 2019

I've used both, and I like both...but they have a couple key differences that one has to determine for themselves what style they're going for (because most mess with the usual rules of the game, anyways, to get more participation):

Labs allows you to award multiple teams the "money value" in full (and/or deduct that full amount), but does not have an option for adding/subtracting amounts other than the question just done.

Factile only allows you to award one team the "money value" in full (though multiple teams can miss it beforehand), but has the extra option of being able to always add/subtract teams' scores in increments of 100.

There's some other slight feature differences (Factile has 6 categories, Labs has 5, etc...)...but really, they're both very similar!

readingrules12 and otterpop like this.
  8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 16, 2019

Thanks! Definitely want to try these out.

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 16, 2019

Jeopardylabs is great. Very easy to make the game and my students really enjoy it. I put them in groups of 3-4 and each group gets a hand held white board. All the groups write their answers, turn their boards upside down until I tell all the groups to hold up their answers. All the groups with the correct answer get the points for the question. I just played it with them two days ago for a test review. Each member of the winning team gets a bonus point on the test.

otterpop and mathmagic like this.
  10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 19, 2019

My students loved review game basketball. We'd take the liner out of the trash can and put it by the door. Other teachers I know have used one of those mini baskets you hook over the door. I'd have marked lines on the floor with point values depending how far they were from the basket. Mine were 10, 20, 30 but you could use any values. The class would be split into two or three teams, and line up. Then I would ask review questions to each team (person at the front of the line) in rotation. Correct answers were worth 10 points and a chance to shoot a basket for additional points. I had a Koosh ball we would use, but any small ball would work. Making a basket was a lot harder than you might think, so the majority of points came from knowing the answers.