Favorite Planning Book

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ayotte04, Jun 8, 2007.

1. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jun 8, 2007

What is your favorite planning book to use (be specific)?

Or do you create your own?:thanks:

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2007

The Teacher's Daybook by Jim Burke. It is a bit pricier (about $15 as opposed to $4 or $5), but I like the way the days are laid out. There are no little squares that I have to try to fit my plans into. Instead, there is a row for each weekday across the two page spread, and I can put in the vertical lines where (if) I want them. I like that flexibility. I also like all of the forms and the calendars that are built in. Purchase of the book also gives you access to a website with printable forms.

4. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jun 8, 2007

My entire district uses Understanding By Design (UBD) by Grant Wiggins. http://www.grantwiggins.org/ubd.html

Here is a link with sample templates. http://www.pegasuscharter.org/strategy/Planning/LessonHelpPage.htm

Basically it is backward planning. Decide the standard(s) you want to teach and then work backward starting with the big idea/task you want students to be able to know/do at the end and design daily instruction. In the process you address standards, key essential questions, prior knowledge and skills, etc. I like it because it really forces me to think deeper into what I want the students to gain a deeper understanding of at the end of the unit.

5. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jun 8, 2007

Wow Pam. Thanks for the tip. I glanced at those templates and I like that there is space to reflect. Other teachers have told me that it's important to write down what you would change after a lesson otherwise you'll forget.
    And Mrs. R I'm certainly going to look into your Jim Burke book. I don't mind paying a little more for something that works well with me.

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 8, 2007

I like the Elan books: http://www.elanpublish.com/

The dated planbooks come already dated (which can take forever otherwise!), have monthly calendars, and plenty of room for writing.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

I use an original template in Word. It's two pages with 3 columns on each page. The first 5 columns are the days of the week, and the last column is for me to write notes, appointments, reminders, whatever.

8. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

I like the Ultimate planbook by Mailbox. There is plenty of space to write lesson plans and other notes. There are also teaching tips or journal topics for each week.