Favorite graphic novels?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Alaskanteach, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

Don't know where my other thread went..

Anyway, what are your favorite graphic novels (whether or not you used them for schooling purposes)?

Some of mine

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    Maus I & II
    Just about any from www.graphicclassics.com (I am using the POE one this year!)

3. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 11, 2007

bump no one?

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 11, 2007

Baby Mouse books are great. I have them in my classroom. I like them especially for reluctant girls...

Captain Underpants and Ricky Riccotta are both sort of graphic novels, and HIGHLY popular in my classroom as well.

I buy these Phonics Comics from Barnes and Noble. I also have some old Read 180 materials, which are graphic novels of classics, like Hercules, Frankenstein, etc. I have 7 or 8 of those.

While not really entirely graphic, the Horrible Histories books usually have comics within them, and sometimes I photocopy them to pass out along with a lesson on something else.

On Friday in my class during SSR they can read magazines, comics, joke books, etc.

5. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 11, 2007

We JUST STARTED read 180 in our school last year... it is OLD? (not that I care, really, I am not the one teaching it, but it was so TOUTED last year.. ) :eek:

6. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 11, 2007

I think that Maus I & II are amazing!!!

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 11, 2007

I don't know if it's old. The school I was at 4 years ago had the materials and were getting rid of them! I took as much as I could, including books with CDs, the graphic novels, etc. Actually, the books looked like they were hardly used. This was a title-1 school--- but they had SO many resources no one ever used. At the end of the year, the AP took us to the basement where they were getting rid of BRAND NEW books, text books and other materials, still in the boxes and plastic wrap. It really made me wonder what the federal money goes to.

I just have the books in my regular library. I don't think the kids know they are any different from other books.