"Fat" pencils vs "Thin/Everyday" pencils

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherSandra, Mar 18, 2009.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 19, 2010

2. esmee

esmee New Member

Mar 19, 2011

The most beautiful handwriters I have seen came from a kindergarten in which they did not handle a pencil until the last few weeks of the school year and then they were chubby pencils. By the time they began writing their fine motor skills were developed enough to deal with it. Kindergarten has become very academic, and those who make state curriculums are concerned with public perception rather than what is best for the students. This is only one such instance.

3. jlj

jlj Devotee

Mar 19, 2011

I agree, I think the length is more of a problem than the diameter but I think the chubby are best due to fine motor devel.. I also like the tri shaped ones available now. hmmm maybe we should be contacting companies and requesting shorter pencils!! :)

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 20, 2011

My husband cuts all my pencils to golf size for me.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 20, 2011

My students have fine motor issues so some of them use the fat pencils with a rubber grip on them. Their hands are big enough to handle it (they are between 14-16 years old) so they don't have the same problem with them that the preschoolers might have with their little hands. I like the idea of the tri shaped pencils too. I will have to look for them in the catalogues when its time to order supplies.

6. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Mar 21, 2011

My preschool has the chubby pencils and the thin pencils in a basket and the children get to choose. 9 times out of 10 they choose the thin pencils. Our thin pencils have grippers on them like the ones here: http://www.enasco.com/product/SN02439J and they seem to help the childrens writing a lot! No more fist grips on the pencil!!! Sometimes I catch a child using the gripper upside-down, but it still produces neater writing. I think the kids think it's cool to have a special thing to help them write better....and of course they get excited when they get their favorite color gripper too! :)

7. fmbenson

fmbenson New Member

Aug 24, 2014

Kindergarten "fat" pencils

I think that the kindergarten children should use #2 pencils with a grip. I can't stand those "fat" pencils