Fast Finishers - help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sandytoes, Jul 16, 2014.

1. sandytoes

sandytoes Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

2ndTimeAround....you are SO right. Our administration would not support it as I've said. I've chatted with my friends who are teachers because they understand our clientele and one of the best ideas I've heard was to make X number of fast finishers worth a piece of gum. Granted the work is done well. Our kidds are gaga over gum and I think that this would work well. I still think that there are some that wouldn't buy into it so I'm really thinking of making this a small participation grade. And students who just don't get to them in class will have to take them home. Or if not that, they will have to read X amount of minutes and write a summary and get a parent signature.

2. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jul 18, 2014

sandytoes,

I agree with everything that you have said, until you got to the gum. One year our P got desperate and decided to use gum to bribe the students. We had gum stuck all over campus. Also, once the students got less excited about gum, we were stuck (pun intended). The only solution was to keep giving students better and better rewards or realize this reward thing won't work in the long run.

I would give students 4 or 5 choices of what to do when they are done. Those who don't choose, you let them know that you will choose. If they still don't do that, then have a small consequence. You will soon get everyone on board except your toughest students. For your toughest students...well it always takes a bit of creativity with them.

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 18, 2014

I wouldn't support the gum idea at my site. I could foresee gum under desks, under chairs, or stuck elsewhere.

4. sandytoes

sandytoes Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

Shockingly enough...our students are very responsible with their gum. It has NEVER been an issue in our school. Interesting how things work and don't work depending on where you are at huh?! :)

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jul 18, 2014

Sounds like you have found your solutions. Good luck to you.

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2014

How about something ongoing like a 1,000 piece puzzle, latch hook, etc.?

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 18, 2014

you could make an X number of task cards required for the grading period. Then students that finish early can get a head start on them. Students that are slower to finish can have them assigned as homework during the last days of the period.

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 18, 2014

I always had a really difficult and complicated jigsaw puzzle set up in the back of my room. There were art supplies back there, too. Early finishers who do a good job should be rewarded, not punished with even MORE of the same kind of work. Or any kind of "work."

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2014

I really like the idea of having a challenging jigsaw puzzle set up. This coming year, I will have more space in my room and I think I'm going to give this a try.

10. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2014

Wouldn't this just encourage kids to work faster with less effort?

If the problem really is not that kids are finishing fast because they are good students but because they aren't interested in working then fast finishing isn't really the problem that needs to be solved.