FAQ for New Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & FAQ' started by Amanda, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Oct 8, 2015

• How do I edit my __________ (profile, settings, avatar, password, privacy, preferences, etc.)
      Look at the upper right hand side of the page on the black navigation bar. You can click on your name and a menu will drop down. This menu has all of your important links. New users will be able to upload an avatar after you've made 10 posts.

• How do I update my time zone?
      This setting is in your preferences. Click your name on the black navigation bar to get a menu with the Preferences link or you can click here.

• What happened to private messages?
      Next to your name on the navigation bar is a mail icon. Click on it to find your private messages. The new forum also refers to these as "conversations". When you get a new PM, the icon will notify you.

• Can you add another subforum for ______________ specialty?
      We have found over the years that it works best to keep the number of subforums at a minimum. When we find a lot of people are discussing a certain topic that warrants its own subforum, that's when we'll create one. Recently, we've simplified some of the rarely-used special subforums back into general ed subforums and that is a trend that may continue.

• Is there a link that will take me back to the main page of the forum?
      Yes, this can be found on every page. 1) The logo at the top left side of the page and 2) "Forums" on the navigation bar both link back to forums.atozteacherstuff.com. 3) There is also a light gray "breadcrumb" bar at the top and bottom of forum content. Use the "Forums" link.

• How does the News Feed work?
      You can customize your news feed to show you topics, forums, and people you are most interested in. You can find a link to your News Feed from your username on the navigation bar. Click your name and the menu will drop down. Click News Feed. Your news feed will include threads and forums you choose to watch. You can also choose to "follow" other members or even "ignore" members you'd rather not see.

• What is the difference between Recent Posts and New Posts?
      Recent Posts will show you all of the recent posts and New Posts will only show you the ones you have not read yet.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2015

How does one edit their own post once it's posted?

4. Amanda

Oct 9, 2015

This is an "edit" link on the post, but I have been told it's not there. It's on the list of things to check/fix.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 11, 2015

I posted a new thread, but it doesn't/didn't show when I clicked "new posts". What might be the reason for that?

6. Amanda

Oct 11, 2015

The New Posts link will only show you threads you haven't read yet. :( That's why I added the Recent Posts link. It will show you everything.

7. Amanda

Oct 11, 2015

Yes, it is a permission issue but it's pretty complicated. I think something is overriding it so I have to go through each forum one by one.

8. mrbooknampa

mrbooknampa Rookie

Nov 11, 2015

I have ten posts, and still don't have access to change avatar. Can that be fixed?

9. Amanda

Nov 12, 2015

10. mrbooknampa

mrbooknampa Rookie

Nov 13, 2015

No luck still.

11. Amanda

Nov 13, 2015

@mrbooknampa - Try now. I just tested it and it is showing the option for you again. It was working when I fixed it last night, but your usergroup got downgraded in the mean time and it took away your permission. I'm sorry for the inconvenience! I'm still trying to get the permissions working properly on the new forum.

12. mrbooknampa

mrbooknampa Rookie

Nov 14, 2015

thx!

13. SteveV24

SteveV24 Rookie

Dec 17, 2015

Odd I'm having the same issue, I have posted 11 times and I can't change my Avatar yet. Can you please check it out?

Thanks!

14. Amanda

Dec 17, 2015

@SteveV24 - The forum does not update your permissions instantly. There is a process that runs every so often. However, your irrelevant responses are being deleted so that won't count toward your total. I'm not sure what your intentions are here, but you are fitting the profile of a spammer at the moment.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

Dec 22, 2015

Amanda, I have no problems, but lots of gratitude for changes that, although not earth shattering, just seem to make sense for those of us who spend a fair amount of time here. I LOVE the ability to edit titles - seems like a small thing, but it is so nice to be able to fix typos or modify the title of the thread as it evolves. I freely admit that it has taken me a while to master the fonts, size, colors, etc., but it helps me feel like I can be creative without being too cutesy. Because I have a long running thread of freebies for teachers, I love that it seems to be pinned and stable. All I wanted was a safe and secure place where I could share working links with other teachers, and you have provided that.

Accept my thanks for the upgrades and changes - I know that something like this is always at least partially a labor of love. I offer my gratitude as well as my wish for a happy holiday.

MrsC likes this.
  16. a2z

a2z Phenom

Jan 17, 2016

I finally found the "delete draft" icon! Woo hoo!

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

Jan 19, 2016

All of the spam/useless threads are gone - you are wonderful! So nice to know you are looking out for us!

18. artbrarian

artbrarian Rookie

Feb 19, 2016

Is there a list of what the restrictions are/when they get lifted?
    I was trying to post a lesson in a thread and I don't know what about the post is stopping it from being postable.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 19, 2016

If you try to post a link before you have reached 30 posts in education forums, your post will be moderated. If you promote yourself, your products or services, the post will be moderated. If you criticize another member personally, it gets moderated. If you didn't do any of the above, then try posting again.

20. artbrarian

artbrarian Rookie

Feb 19, 2016

Thanks for the help! I found this place last weekend and i love it!

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 20, 2016

Welcome, artbrarian!