Family Reading Night

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss_J, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jan 6, 2008

I am in charge of creating a family reading night (how I wind up in these situations I will never know:confused:). I was told that it should be a car theme since we are doing a reading incentive that is a race track and that there should be reading activities for all ages/grade levels from K-6th.
    I have a few ideas, but I would love to know if anyone else has any ideas.
    Thanks in advance!

3. mmis

mmis Companion

Jan 6, 2008

We've had several family rdg nights- and one idea that would go with your theme is (we used it to lure students)- we gave free limo or Hummer rides as 1 of the stations. The cars pulled up out front and rode the kids around the school parking lot. Parents took pictures and had lots of fun. You could also have some people bring old cars (from the 50s, 40s) and make pictures with those. A teacher could tie that into a game into her classroom on parent night and teach car trivia about the past.

Other thoughts-
    -we had lots of door prizes
    -teachers buddied up to create fun games and learning stations
    -a local fast food restaurant brought dinner at a bargain price for the parents (orders were taken in advance)
    -a local celebrity was one of the speakers

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2008

Here is what we did for ours...

We had a theme too...

We divided up into classrooms
    -one had a teacher reading aloud (you could do an upper level, and a lower level).
    -One had a writing activity (the kids and parents made a "thankfulness quilt") since we are trying to incorporate reading & writing
    -the library was open for parents and kids to read together
    -the computer lab was open for ar tests
    -another classroom was open for readers theater. The kids had the chance to read aloud something short they had written. Key word being short. Too long, and it takes up too much time.

5. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jan 7, 2008

Our last reading night was very successful. It was last month, and had a Christmas theme, but you might be able to adapt some of these (teachers led these activities to families and we had a limit of 25 people per room):
    *sign language- one teacher taught families how to sign a familiar Christmas carol.
    *food craft - read and follow a recipe to make/decorate a reindeer cookie.
    *visualizing activity - the teacher read a short book and participants drew the picture that was formed in their mind when listening (she also talked with parents about helping their children practice/build that strategy when reading at home).
    *read aloud
    *craft - read and follow directions (a christmas ornament, but you could do a car-theme craft easily).
    *karaoke!! - this was popular and BOY! does this make you build fluency!
    *travel games - one teacher made up a booklet of games families/children can play while travelling in the car. She went over and played several of them.
    *Storytime with Santa! - Yes-- we had the big guy himself!! ;-)
    *We gave each child a free book at the end of the night.

In the past, we've also had:
    *Families create a Christmas book together - a Christmas ABC book for the primary, and a Christmas traditions book for intermediate.
    *Who, what, where, when, why gloves - I purchased inexpensive white cotton gloves, and the teacher had kiddos glue velcro dots on the fingers and on the back of "Who, what, where, when, why" labels. After a story is read, they answer/respond to the different labels and place them on the fingertips as they're answered.

At ours, our main focus was to support parents in helping their children improve reading skills, and letting them know the many different ways that can be done, hence the reading directions, and even karaoke. I set the sessions up so that we were on a 20 minute rotation. Families could choose which sessions to go to, but we did have the max, and teachers shut their doors when they had that magic number. Families knew to go to another session if they arrived and the door was closed.

We had about 200 people at the last one, and it was very well received. I'm working on a Family Math Night right now for the end of this month, and then I'll gear up for another Reading Night early March to coincide with Read Across America. (I'm like you---- "How do I keep getting these jobs?!" Every time I do one, the day of the event, I'm saying I'll never do one of these again, but a few days later, I'm already thinking of new things to do!
    Good luck with your event!

6. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Jan 7, 2008

How about inviting a therapy dog reading team?

7. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jan 9, 2008

Thanks for all of the ideas.
    I think we will definitely do the karaoke!
    I have recruited a few other teachers to help me, so when we have our meeting next week I will present all of these ideas.
    If anyone has anymore, please post!