Family Projects in 1st. grade?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by kayleebryn, Aug 21, 2008.

1. kayleebryn

kayleebryn Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

does anyone do "family" projects with their students?? I am interested in doing some type of monthly family project in which the children would work at home with their family on it and then bring it to school to share with the class. I've done things like disguise the turkey pattern picture and build an animal habitat, but I was wondering if anyone had any fun and creative ideas I could "borrow"??

3. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Aug 21, 2008

I did this for the first time this year, and I am pleased with the results. I made an empty crayon box and put it up on my bulletin board. I also quoted a section from the book "The Crayon Box that Talks". I cut out a crayon shape from posterboard for each of my students. I wrote their name down the oval in the middle, and I sent them home with them at Open House to decorate with things that represent them. They brought them back the first day of school, and we used them to introduce ourselves. I got some really cute crayons! I was impressed with their creativity. I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it on here.

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2008

We did family trees when we did family unit. When we were talking about goods and services along with community workers, students had to create a poster to tell represent what they wanted to be when they grow up. It was wonderful to see the different way each child expressed themselves.

5. kem

kem Companion

Aug 22, 2008

Cute!! I was wanting to do something "crayon" related at the beginning of the year...thanks for the idea!

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2008

All About Me poster (early in the year)

Timeline of the student's life

Family tree

Diorama (we do nursery rhymes in K, but you could do characters/setting of any story)