Families

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderBelle, Aug 23, 2008.

1. KinderBelle

KinderBelle Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

We are doing a families unit for about a month! :down: Does anyone have any interesting ideas, sites, crafts, etc.? It seems waaaaaayyyy too long to spend on such a simple unit, but it has been decided.... Thanks!!

3. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

We start the year with an ocean unit, so I try to tie in things to that. For homes, for example, I use House for Hermit Crab. We do a class book-each child has a page: This is ____'s house. They draw and color their house. For families, I use Swimmy. Each child gets a paper that says There are __ people in ____'s family. To decorate this page, we do thumbprints-one per family member. The thumbprint is the person's body; they add head, arms, etc. Before the paper, we graph the # of people in each child's family. For a Swimmy art project, I give each child a large fish outline on white const. paper. They color the fish red then add tiny fish cut from the Ellison cutter out of red const. paper. They each get one tiny black fish for Swimmy, who is the eye. I also use Rainbow Fish and Big Al to discuss feelings.

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 23, 2008

treysmom,
    I love your class book ideas, especially the thumbprint book!

5. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

How about a family tree? I have done one as a family project where I give each family a large cut-out of a house and they can draw their family inside or use photos.

My own children (in daycare) did a family tree for Christmas, where they received a large xmas tree cut out, my boys colored it and added "ornaments." We had to send in pics of our various family and they were cut out like ornaments.

Also, maybe have your families come in and share different family traditions.

Hope this helps. :)

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 23, 2008

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2008

Could you also incorporate differences? You could read some great books like, "Everyone Eats Rice".

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2008

Another subject to cover when on the "families" theme, is to include pets, since they are an important part of the family. There are endless things you can do about pets.

9. cubfan

cubfan Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

We make family bracelets....pipe cleaners and colored beads. Red for mom, blue for dad...... The kids like to look how different all of the bracelets are when finished!

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2008

cubfan, I love that idea! I think I'll use it! Thanks.