Fall/Thanksgiving Door Decorations

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Nov 1, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Nov 1, 2009

I am wanting to decorate our door/hallway with something seasonal/craft to just change it up a bit. Any ideas? I saw the cutest/simple Candy Corns that I wish we would've done for halloween. Instead ... all of our halloween decorations were inside the room ... so I'm wanting something cute to change it up in the hallway. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2009

Turkeys with wreaths around their necks! That way you cover both Thanksgiving & Christmas with one shot. I got an email from one of my friends with a house decorated with a Snowman holding a pumpkin TOT bag, a wreath with a turkey on it and the sign stating MERRY THANKSGOWEEN! There were other holiday things on the windows too.
    Rebel1

4. KinderWonder

KinderWonder Rookie

Nov 2, 2009

I think it would be cute if you took brown, orange, and other "fall" colors and had your little ones trace their hands, then cut them out and "decorate their turkey." You would put the individual turkeys all over the door or you could create a scene on the door and place each turkey in different spots (i.e. one on top of a rock in the background, one by a tree in the foreground, etc.).

5. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Nov 2, 2009

Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking of doing! I'm not quite creative enough to do the scene ... but love the idea!

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 2, 2009

We do a REALLY great project at my school in kindergarten. We send it home for kids to do with their families, but it could be done at school as well.

The kids get a "Tom the Turkey" and a piece of construction paper. They have to cut Tom out, glue him to the construction paper, and disguise him so he doesn't get caught for Thanksgiving. They come up with the greatest things (football player, clown, cheerleader, etc.). Like I said, we send them home so they come back looking really neat. It's a project that families spend a lot of time and work hard on.

Here is the letter we send home:

Dear Families,
    Thanksgiving is just around the corner and the turkeys need your family’s help! As a family, please disguise Tom the turkey so that he will not be eaten for Thanksgiving dinner! Be creative and use any materials you have available to you at home. Anything goes--Tom can be disguised as a doctor, astronaut, farmer, cheerleader, ballerina, a clown, etc….

When Tom is unrecognizable, please cut him out and mount him on the provided sheet of construction paper for durability. Your turkey homework is due on Wednesday, November 5th (at the latest), but you may send it in earlier. When Tom is incognito, he can “hide out” in our hallway! Be sure to check out everyone’s turkey at parent/teacher conferences!

~ Kindergarten Team

7. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Nov 2, 2009

What a great idea. We send home paper Christmas trees for the family to decorate. I always love to see how creative they can be. Thanks for sharing this idea.

8. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Nov 2, 2009

OOOOO! I love it! I'm stealing it! THANK SOOOOO MUCH! Is it just a plain turkey printout or outline ... or one with a little detail?

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 2, 2009

If you would like to PM me your email address, I can forward you the turkey we use. :)

10. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Nov 2, 2009

You're the best!

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 2, 2009

This I know. ;)

Hah, kidding of course.

12. abchild

abchild Rookie

Nov 3, 2009

A great book about a turkey that needs a disguise is A Plump and Perky Turkey by Teresa Bateman. It could be read in class before or after, sounds like fun.

13. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Nov 4, 2009

We do the hand-trace turkeys, but I let the children glue feathers (from the craft store) on their tails. We glue them on various fall colored paper and label it "Our turkey farm. You can also put some blank papers in between and put it up like a quilt. That always looks cute.

14. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2009

On a serious note now...:D I was kidding about the turkeys with wreaths around their necks!;)
    Here are some of my favorite THANKSGIVING artwork...:cool:
    -The turkeys made out of handprints. The thumb is the neck so you can draw a head on. The remaining fingers and the hand is the body and the feathers. You have to add cut out legs and a thingy for that red part hanging below his neck.
    -Headbands with the feathers that the children cut out & glue on. For the band, you can cut out small turkeys or fall leaves and glue them on a strip of paper. Make it interesting by having the children use whatever Fall colors they want; red, orange, brown, yellow and (?)green. They can wear these for your Thanksgiving party.
    -The cornucopia artwork is a fun one too. Let the children trace their fruits/veggies, cut them out and glue or staple them on...
    -The I am thankful for________________________. Fill out the blank by letting them write it in themselves, if they can write already. I highlight or dot the letters for those who can't write their letters yet.
    -The placemats is another one of my favorites for the holiday. I have done them before for T/Giving. I wrote the I am thankful for ________ on it. It was a hit for the Thanksgiving party.
    A lot of the Pre-K/Pre-school teachers are tempted to make all the children's work look GREAT to everyone. They trace and cut out the children's stuff and they EVEN show them where to glue them. I HATE THAT! How are the children ever going to learn anything on their own? That is one of my pet peeve about some of the Pre-school teachers. I hate walking into a 2 or 3 year old classroom and all the artwork is PERFECT. I am talking about how perfectly everything is glued @ where they belong. Let the children glue the mouth where the nose goes, and the one of the eyes where the mouth goes. :rolleyes: (I know who did it.:eek:)
    Let the children experience it all! We are doing them a BIG favor by allowing them to do it on their own.
    Rebel1

15. Kshaft

Kshaft New Member

Nov 10, 2009

Could I get a copy of your turkey? This is an awesome idea!!! kshaft@usd239.org

Thanks!

16. Kshaft

Kshaft New Member

Nov 10, 2009

I would love it, as well. new to this, what does PM mean?

17. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 10, 2009

Private Message
    Look in the upper right hand corner of your screen. You should see (in dark print) Welcome Kshaft
    Under that is the link for a Private Message

18. lbucha8150

lbucha8150 New Member

Nov 6, 2011

I would love to have a copy of the turkey if anyone could send me one!