Failing Students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Dec 25, 2018

Yes, I teach a special class/self-contained setting. Student's academic and behavior progress are indicated by other assessments (NOT numerical grades). I am required to give a 65% for students who are failing, but have put forth extraordinary effort and did what they absolutely could.

2. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 25, 2018

We try to stay on kids for missing work to get it all in. Somebody on our team stays after school four days a week for kids who need extra help. We call, email, and send home notes. While we do have kids who fail for progress reports sometimes, we rarely have kids who fail for the grading period, and it is very, very rare for kids to fail for the year.

In my grade book, I separate work completed with help (classwork) from work completed independently (assessments graded to standard) so parents and kids can see how the kids compare to the standard vs. with a lot of support.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 25, 2018

Oh, this is a special education class. That is very different. I thought you were talking about a general education classroom.

4. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Dec 25, 2018

Oh...sorry about that. I apologize for not indicating this sooner. I thought it was known that I was a self-contained teacher. While I do not use numerical grades as evidence of progress, I have other methods that are more personalized for each of my students.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 25, 2018

I probably overlooked that or didn’t read your post thoroughly enough. :)

This is posted in the General Education section and so I didn’t want to assume that you did.

6. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2018

My first year teaching (math in 1978) was with the lowest 6-8th graders. I had a kid that missed LOTS of school. When he showed up I gave him the quizzes and tests. I had lots of evidence he knew the material. It was a mastery based program created by two of the math teachers there, I gave him an A because that was his average. The principal called me in and asked me how he did it when all his other grades were F's. He said I had to change it to an F because of how many days he missed. I thought "well hell, this might encourage him to show up more" in my youthful and enthusiastic early twenties.