Failed TPA 1 twice

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Chadni27, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Chadni27

Chadni27 Rookie

Sep 5, 2017

I feel so discouraged for TPA 1 I got a better score on the first two cases and it seems as if they wrote off the rest of my test. I feel completely confused. National University doesn't offer any physical groups/classes where you can interact with peers. Also if there is a prep class I would do that even. Thanks

taitinhte likes this.
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 5, 2017

Hi, Chadni27. Just to give you a heads up, this is being moved to the testing subforum where those more in the know (I have no idea what this test is) can help you.

4. Chadni27

Chadni27 Rookie

Sep 5, 2017

so does that mean it would be in like the state test format? I have never heard of it, but am not surprised as there has been changes to CSET subtest 2.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 6, 2017

I meant your question was moved to a different section of the AtoZ forum.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 6, 2017

Thanks for moving the thread, cat. TPA unpacks to Teaching Performance Assessment: a beginning teachers plans a lesson, is video-recorded teaching it, and then reflects on what went well and what didn't. In short, it's largely a pedagogy test, which lands it in the category Other Tests (and that's where it now is).

Chadni27, what by way of feedback have you received on this?

7. Chadni27

Chadni27 Rookie

Sep 6, 2017

I think I done well on Case 1 just need to alter a couple of things. As for Case 2 the first two portions were 'appropriate' and the rest was minimal supposedly. Is there any online prep or some seminars anyone has been to? Thank you

8. taitinhte

taitinhte New Member

Sep 13, 2017

I do not see this in vietnam

9. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Sep 13, 2017

Make sure you are not using acronyms and be sure to assume that your grader has NEVER been to school, never taught, and basically know NOTHING about education. That is how detailed you need to be. DO NOT copy and paste answers...the ask the same thing 5000 times....be creative and come up with 5000 ways to say the same thing. Synonyms are your friend!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 14, 2017

I agree with the need for detail but with little else here.

Scorers of teacher-test constructed responses are, by and large, teachers or teacher educators. They are looking for evidence that the test taker is ready to take his or her place as a fellow professional educator, jargon and all - but they will penalize for "bad BS", by which I mean use of jargon that makes it clear that the test taker doesn't fully understand the term. (Yes, there's "good BS": that's faking the result that one doesn't know cold because one does know the terminology and the foundational principles well enough to do so.)

For the TPAs, scorers won't object to an acronym, provided the thing that the acronym specifies is appropriate for the situation and that, as needed, the test taker makes the case for the thing (for instance, in dealing with English learners a mention of SDAIE is followed with a brief description of the SDAIE-based strategy the test taker has selected, complete with specifics that tie it to the subject matter at hand).

When a question is broken down into a whole series of subparts, it is because the test taker is being asked (reminded?) to give attention to each of those subparts. When that's the case, it's acceptable (and sensible) to answer the overarching question in a single sentence and let the various subparts carry the burden of support and explication - yes, the details.