Extreme Couponing

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MuckeyBusiness, Jul 19, 2014.

1. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Jul 19, 2014

Does anyone do extreme couponing? I'm going to try to learn how to do it.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2014

I know one person who does it. She treats it basically like a full-time job. It's very time-consuming to find all those coupons, compare prices at different stores, and drive around town to get the best deals. If you have the time, though, it can be worthwhile.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 19, 2014

You know, I've never done it, but I'd like to learn about it too.

What's the average amount per month that a person can save?

5. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 19, 2014

At least around here, you pretty much haven't been able to do ANYTHING on those couponing shows since the mid-90s.

That's why most of those shows take place in either super small towns or the midwest.

6. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Jul 19, 2014

well I live in the mid-west so i guess that's awesome for me :) I don't know if i'll be successfull but I definetly want to try it. I don't want to be as crazy as they are on the show but I have found a blog that has 8 parts to help you do it

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 19, 2014

I disagree. Most prices are somewhat set by the manufacturer, and they also produce many of the coupons. If you really do the work and align the manufacturer coupons with the store coupons/specials, you could have the same results. I'm not an extreme couponer, but a few weeks ago I had a $1 off coupon for pasta. That week, the store had the same pasta for $1, and it was a store that double coupons. So I ended up getting 2 boxes of pasta for free.

Also, they've had people from metro NYC on before.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 19, 2014

I do moderate couponing. I never pay. For than 50 cents of a dollar for deodorant, toothpaste, lotion, shampoo, and Chapstick. Sometimes I buy food cheap for the food bank.

I'm single, so I don't stockpile too much at a time.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 19, 2014

I used $11 in coupons at the store today but that was mostly with the coupons I found in the store flyer that came in the mail. I used to get the Sunday paper but most of those coupons from the inserts are useless to me because I don't buy that prepackaged garbage like cereal, cookies, hamburger helper, etc. I buy fresh foods except for things like shampoo and body wash which I'll use a coupon that I got online.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2014

What grocery stores do you ave near you? Many by me do double coupons... Although I stopped using coupons years ago.?.too much time checking through coupons, dates,correct size, etc...I tend to shop weekly specials and have frequent shopper cards at my go to stores.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 20, 2014

I clip coupons on occasion and place them in my wallet. However, by the time I remember to use them, they've either expired or I'm not at the store where the coupon is being honored.

Sigh! :rolleyes:

12. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 20, 2014

Pretty much just Shoprite.

They still double coupons, but they used to double the double coupons sometimes.

My mom usually saves ~$50 a week with coupons.

13. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2014

Eh, not worth my time. I'd rather spend my free time outside or with friends instead of clipping coupons. I mean if I save $50/week but I have to spend 5 hours sorting coupons, $10/hour? Not worth it.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2014

That's good savings! But like Lucy, it's not something I do. Good for mom, bros!:thumb:

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 20, 2014

One thing I hate about some coupons is that they make you buy 2 of something to use the coupon. I just want one of something and I end up spending more just to use the coupon. Not worth it. Also, I don't think most people can replicate the savings in the shows because if you notice, a lot of their coupons are for free items. The only way I have ever gotten a free item coupon is directly from the company. They seem to have 30 free coupons for something? That's not realistic for the average person.

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 20, 2014

Agreed. A lot of the people on the extreme couponing show spend 40 hours a week or more on coupons and shopping trips. Completely not worth it! If you had a job for forty hours a week, you'd be able to have money for all your groceries plus a lot more. I realize that's not a possibility for everyone, but couponing doesn't seem to be practical for most people.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2014

I cut out coupons I think I might use and use digital coupons at Target but I don't spend more than ten minutes a week. I may save ten to twenty bucks a trip so the ten minutes pays off. If I forget my coupons, I buy what I need anyway.

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 20, 2014

The only coupons I use are on the apps for stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

We just had someone recently completely flip out at an extreme couponer who was checking out at the weekly peak time. It ended up taking her like 30 minutes or something to check out.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 20, 2014

I only spend a few minutes a week sorting coupons.

20. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2014

It's probably terrible, but I let kids who are done with their work help cut and sort the coupons. They are reading ads, talking about money, and practicing fine motor skills - and they love it!

I haven't paid for soap, shaving cream, or toothpaste in over a year. Free items that I won't use get donated to food drives .

21. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 22, 2014

I have tried that 8 step coupon thing. I don't find many "great" bargains. I think many stores have found ways to avoid coupons. No store around here doubles coupons. That said, I do cut out the Sunday newspaper coupons and store coupons. I usually save $20 per week. I never get anything free.