Extra Income

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ECE ABC, Oct 22, 2014.

1. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Oct 22, 2014

Just wondering who here takes on extra jobs for extra income?

I am officially back to tutoring this week. I have one student i see 2 mornings a week (for an hour) before school starts and i am only charging $20 an hour so her mom jumped at it:D

I also do product studies for a local Research Company. I have been doing this for 2 years now. I am currently in a study this month for laundry detergent..comparing brands..it'll be an extra $140.00 when I complete the study, the weekly diaries and the online comparison surveys at the end of the month!

Some months I can make hundreds of dollars on the studies, but then in the months when the studies pay less, the tutoring will really help out since its weekly.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2014

I worked retail while I was still subbing, up until I got my first long-term position (made Black Friday my last day :lol:), and also occasionally tutored, and helped with the Measures of Effective Teaching study that the Gates Foundation did. Now my only "extra" is something I've been doing for the past 7-8 years - writing math competition tests for a large state competition. I used to compete in it as a kid, and so writing the questions that the kids get to have fun figuring out is beyond rewarding (shh, I'd almost do it for free...ha!)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

I tutor 7 hours a week at $65-70 per hour.

I also do after school dismissal duty which adds up to about $250 per month.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 22, 2014

I've PM'd you! :)

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 22, 2014

I took an intern this year, and I was accepted into the superintendent's leadership cadre. Those two are an extra couple of thousand.

I have done medical research, too. I'm too busy to do it right now. It's usually a summer project.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2014

Wow! I live in a really nice town, but the parents here would never pay that much for tutoring! It was a struggle to get one parent to pay $25! (I charged her that much because I had to travel 20 minutes to get to her house). Otherwise, I charge my parents $20 an hour. I have 5 students that I work with for a total of 6 hours a week. I teach part-time so I also work at a local business assisting in accounting.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 22, 2014

I grade Praxis and tutor three hours a week for $20 an hour.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

I know a few who get more depending on extra certs....:blush:

I wouldn't tutor for $20... I think babysitters make $15 per.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 22, 2014

I sell wreaths on etsy and at craft shows. It's more a social thing for me than anything else.

11. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Oct 22, 2014

Aside from grad school, I tutor for $35 an hour. One of my clients is a senior in high school and I'm tutoring him in the Word Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension portions of the ASVAB. Although I could likely ask more and get it (his parents are very impressed), it's been rewarding for the both of us and is only 2 hours every Sunday, so I don't mind.

I'm hoping to start substitute teaching soon, but will likely limit it to two or three days a week. Anymore than that and I'm afraid my grades will slip (maintaining a 4.0 GPA).

OP…how did you get involved with the product studies? That's something my wife (a homemaker) would probably love to do.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2014

I'll be asst coaching the swim team at a private school for $17/hour. Not so much for the money, more to get my foot in the door.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

I sold a prep. I don't mind doing that because the money is really good and my "extra job" is contained within the school day, so I can still enjoy my evenings and weekends.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

Last summer I worked summer school, for me that's an extra month pay - kind of like an extra job, all within month. I don't think I could ever tutor, after school my brain os sometimes fried and the last thing I'd want to do would be to work with a student. Maybe on the weekends?
    I've been thinking that sometime in the future I'd like to teach a college course, I don't think I qualify yet, but it would be a little extra income and get my foot in the college world.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2014

I need to find a way to make money. I sell Thirty-One, but you have to sell $200 every three months to stay active. I will be inactive pretty soon since I have no prospects. It is too saturated in my area. So I think I will be leaving it behind soon.

I've created some digital posters and stuff to use as props in pictures for my niece (inside a frame). I need to buy the license to the fonts I used so I can try and sell them on Etsy. I enjoy doing that kind of stuff, so maybe that will turn into something. I thought about trying TPT but I just don't have any 'new' ideas. And I think there is too much out there to be successful with digitally dressing up old/standard ideas. Over saturation again. Always late to the party :rolleyes:

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2014

My three weeks of summer school brought in 2/3 of a regular two week paycheck. I don't think that I will do it next year. Maybe if I could net over $1,000 it would be worth it.