Extra Credit

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Googs, Jul 17, 2007.

1. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

Most of you all are working to hard for me.
    I agree that most all extra credit is done by A kids. I don't sacrifice a lot of average kid's time to help the A kids become perfect. And if a failing kid does do the extra credit, I give every benefit of the doubt just because the kid showed interest in improving.

2. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

That is pretty standard. Parents start coming in the last few weeks at least, trying to pass the kids.
    This has been going on for years. I have tried all kinds of things. What a waste of time.
    Has anyone come to the conclusion that the parents who do this should take on the responsibility, so just go ahead and give the parents what they want? Is there a quick, easy, efficient way to hold the parents accountable in these cases?

3. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jul 20, 2007

I make my extra credit purposefully hard. I want to discourage students from relying on it to "save them" from failing. At our school we accept late work (for 70% credit) until the end of the9 weeks. I want the kids to do the original work. If they have complete all assignments and they are still failing (not very likely), I pull them in for tutoring during their elective.

Now I do give them opportunities to recieve full credit on a late assignment. I know it happens that kids forget a paper or were absent and didn't get the assignment completeing in their extra time (one day per day absent). I give them "B_(my name)_ Bucks". They can get these for good behavior, going above and beyond, A on test, extc. They can then uses these for bathroom passes, full credit on late work, drink a pop in class one day, get out of a tardy free, ect. One teacher calls them "Almost anyting" passes. If the kids can come up with someitng to use it on that you are willing to accept, they can use it. I never let them use it to substitute for missing work or bonus points.

4. golden811

golden811 Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I agree...

I totally agree with you. Last year was my first year teaching. I started off with a "No Extra Credit" policy. By the second semester I started giving extra credit hear and there. So when a parent come in wanting to know about a grade giving, I explain I have even giving the student extra credit and it was not turned in. It is a way to cover yourself.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2007

I really like that but how do you make sure they have done their original work as well?

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 21, 2007

I don't take any extra credit assignments if they have any zeros.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2007

I do not give extra credit assignments. The students who are doing well don't need it. The students who are not would be if they had been doing what they were supposed to be doing in the first place.

I do, however, give students who do not do well on a major assessment a way to bring their grades on the assessment up to a C. They have to do an error analysis of their work. This gives students who have been trying a chance. It doesn't do much for students who haven't been doing their homework and class work.

And I have been know to use the grade on a comprehensive final assessment as a student's grade for the class if it trumps their average. Sometimes I have had students who for one reason or another do not, or cannot, do homework, but still master the material.

8. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Talking about easy points - how many of you offer extra points for contributing to food drives - spirit days and the like? I always feel like it is in line with "buying" your grade.

9. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 21, 2007

Malcolm,
    I have done a similar thing. I let kids fix the answers they got wrong but they got 1/2 the original credit. One time, I let kids who had a D+ or lower take their paper home for a parent's signature. It would bring their grade up one leve. Those who failed got a D, the D's got a C. You'd be amazed how many kids didn't even take this up!

As far as giving points for bringing food in for a drive and the like, I guess it could be an extra homework grade - if they don't do it, they don't get penalized. However I've never done that. Our school has a contest with food drives. The class with the most cans gets a free ice cream slip or something like that.

10. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

I shy away from giving points for bringing school supplies, food, etc. I've heard of teachers (even in my school in a relatively affluent area) who offer extra credit for kids who bring Kleenex, hand sanitizer, and other supplies. But I agree, that is too much like "buying" a grade, and would be especially unequal in an area where some kids literally could not afford to "buy" those extra points. For food drives, etc., our school also will do a pizza or ice cream party for the homeroom with the most.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 22, 2007

At my old high school, they would allow students to clear an unexcused absence by bringing in food for the holiday food drive (1 can = 1 hour they didn't have to make up). A turkey would wipe out 5 days! Can you believe that? So basically, for the cost of a 10 lb. turkey, a kid could just skip a week of school. I thought it was unethical (and possibly illegal). Thankfully, I'm no longer working there!

12. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

I have a 10 point system with a bingo card I designed i use each block with a new assignment. Some are easy some are not. They have to complete 5 to get the 10points this is good for students who finish their work ahead of time. I have them place their work in a binder with their name the assigment name and the date and i sign off on it. The kids work hard to get this assigment believe it or not.. some are essays some are posters, models etc....

13. reverie

reverie Companion

Jul 22, 2007

I occasionally offer extra credit but it's difficult work. Although it's the students that usually do well anyway that complete the extra credit, it is helpful to mention that it was offered when parents ask about their child's grade. I also make sure NOT to remind the students about the extra credit and when it's due. I feel that students need to take responsibility if they want the extra points.

14. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 22, 2007

Lol, that cannot be legal!

15. CoachRyan

CoachRyan Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

When kids ask if I offer bonus (which always seem to be at the end of a grading period, imaginet that) I tell them the only bonus they get is me agreeing to teach them for the year. They give me the "yeah right" but that's just my joking way of telling them "no, I don't offer bonus". I do take late work for a reduced grade.

Besides, it's all the same. I mean, if a kid asks, I can say one of 2 things.

1. you need to make up Homework #3 (page 33 1-3) for 5/10 points (since ontime is worth 10 points)

or

2. your extra credit is page 33 1-3. You can earn up to 5 homework points

same darn thing but by telling them #1, I make them feel that they have to do the work sooner or later, and they know they are doing the same work for half the credit.