Extra credit to students whose parents volunteer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by alabama, Oct 10, 2017.

1. alabama

alabama Rookie

Oct 10, 2017

Another teacher in my school is having a hard time getting parents to volunteer in her classroom, so she has started offering extra credit for the students who have parents who can volunteer. It seems to be effective - she gets more volunteers this way and her workload is reduced.

I'm not sure though that what she is doing is correct though....what are your thoughts?

She teaches middle school, 7th grade.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2017

I certainly would never do so - not a very equitable practice. That being said, I wouldn't rush to judgment either, because there are certainly many other little details (i.e. the extra credit may not actually be able to make any significant change to a grade).

otterpop likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Oct 10, 2017

Extra credit should be reserved for extra work done by the student. This is a parent buying extra points, similar to buying reward miles on their credit card. Do you want to know if it is right? Try practicing the speech you would make to the BOE about why students are getting points for their parent's work, while students not blessed to have a stay at home parent are ineligible for the same extra credit. When you look at and try to defend that rationale, you will know what you are comforable with and what seems ethical to you (and the BOE, should they inquire)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 10, 2017

Absolutely not. That penalizes students whose parents work or who are otherwise occupied (taking care of other children or elderly parents) during the school day.

readingrules12 and WarriorPrncss like this.
  6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2017

Definitely no. A student's grades should be solely a reflection of their mastery of the academic concepts.

Backroads likes this.
  7. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Oct 10, 2017

Not okay. To be ethical, extra credit needs to be equal opportunity just like regular graded assignments. Everyone has the same access and choice to complete or not complete. That's discriminatory against children who have both parents working during the day or have infant siblings or have parents who don't speak sufficient English or . . .

I had a math teacher in HS who gave extra credit if you gave blood during the school blood drive. I pointed out that that wasn't fair because some people can't give blood (including at the time, in-season athletes who were banned from donating by their coaches) and there should be credit for volunteering time or donating cookies/juice. I was told life and extra credit didn't have to be fair.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2017

Is there a need for so much volunteering at the middle school level? That's weird and not in line with my experience.

svassillion and czacza like this.
  9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2017

Not a good idea.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Oct 10, 2017

Your admin is okay with this? This is like paying for grades in my opinion.

11. nagendra

nagendra New Member

Oct 13, 2017

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Oct 13, 2017

We have a large number of parents who work or are unable to work in the school for one reason or another. Plus, we are not able to give extra credit for anything non-academic. Also, extra credit cannot take the place of regular credit work.

13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 13, 2017

I agree. It's not something that I would do, but also, it wouldn't be too harmful to add one point of extra credit to a student's grade. I wouldn't do this for parents volunteering, but might do it for something else, like bringing in a classroom supply such as pencils if we really needed them. It wouldn't really change anything due to how my points are weighted.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  14. Fun_Teacher

Fun_Teacher Companion

Oct 13, 2017

Well, teachers do the same thing for materials. It seems like an ok idea.

I mean, my students get extra credit for good behavior.

15. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Oct 13, 2017

Glad to see you take reporting of student progress towards the standards so seriously. :toofunny:

16. Fun_Teacher

Fun_Teacher Companion

Oct 13, 2017

Of course, I assess based off the standards. However, I teach a special class and I am allowed to alter the curriculum to best fit the needs of my students. I prioritize the curriculum. I want to have my students improve their behavior, while also having many opportunities to pass the subject. Anyways, it is my classroom and I know what to do in my classroom.

17. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:41 AM

Grades should be what students earn, not what parents can purchase by doing "volunteering". Aren't grades meant to be used to tell the truth on how a student is doing in class? If a child is doing "B" work and you give an "A" to the parent, then that is just plain wrong.

ecteach, Fun_Teacher and Leaborb192 like this.
  18. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:57 PM

Altered grades that reflect behavior in a SPED class is different from giving extra points for materials or parents volunteering. Those who work with special needs students will always have some leeway. Learning to work with others, communicate with others, remain on task are necessary skills that we have to teach besides the standards. Parents volunteering to help in the classroom is not a mandatory skill.

readingrules12 likes this.
  19. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:28 PM

Definitely would never do this.

20. Fun_Teacher

Fun_Teacher Companion

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:41 PM

So true.

21. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Oct 15, 2017 at 8:02 PM

I agree with what seems to be the general consensus--- unfair to students who have parents that work or are otherwise unable to volunteer. Also, it feels like "buying" extra credit.

otterpop likes this.